In need of the SMF Family Wisdom for Residentially Challenged Cook part 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
Well, there are a bunch of smart, talented cooks within this community and I’m hoping you will be able to offer up some ideas to cook inside round beef. I have never purchased this before. My intention is to cook and serve the needy in the near future. This is what I have to cook.
3ADFC01A-2631-4F1E-8B93-C3BB2038327B.jpeg
72698BFF-FEC8-4116-B2E1-23E7A3BE2C37.jpeg
B6733A79-9C59-44E1-8471-7D5CD5F8B492.jpeg

I won’t mention names, but a person with two thumbs and is typing this had assistance from a store employee loading the cases when buying Tri tip and didn’t look at the box until opened at home.

Anyway I have 3 twenty pound chunks of beef and I’d like to cook it and serve along with Mac and cheese, vegetables etc.

Any suggestions on how to cook this so they get a nice meal? I’d like to cook it in big Jake on site at the location where it would be served. What ideas do you have? Thanks in advance.

I would smoke it to about 125℉ and let rest for a few. Then cut each piece into 3 pieces from the thick end to the thin end. This would be cutting with the grain. Then these pieces would then be small enough to slice on a slicer across the grain for roast beef and a little will go a long way, you'll be able to feed a lot of folks with what you've got.

My 2¢...

Inside round is top round, usually very lean. Cooked to rare-medium rare and sliced thin, it makes great roast beef...
I would smoke it to about 125℉ and let rest for a few. Then cut each piece into 3 pieces from the thick end to the thin end. This would be cutting with the grain. Then these pieces would then be small enough to slice on a slicer across the grain for roast beef and a little will go a long way, you'll be able to feed a lot of folks with what you've got.

My 2¢...
I like that idea. I was thinking my little slicer wasn’t gonna cut it. May have had to read it the story of the little train that could before hand lol.

Your racking up the points FB. That's awfully kind of you and I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Chris

Reactions: flatbroke
Cook to 125*F to slice for roast beef with chef jimmyj's smokey Au Jus....I like to thicken it up for gravy. Or cook like brisket for either slices or chopped beef....makes really great chopped beef!
Roast beef would probably be fastest way to cook? I would be somewhat time constrained. Maybe it’s time to order an Alto-shaam!!

Cook to 125*F to slice for roast beef with chef jimmyj's smokey Au Jus....I like to thicken it up for gravy. Or cook like brisket for either slices or chopped beef....makes really great chopped beef!
This would be money all day long!

This is why I suggested smoking it, but cooking in the oven is always an option as others have suggested...it would take a big oven, though...
A big Oven I do not have. But I do have Big Jake!!! Smoking it will be the way,

Reactions: smokin peachey
Good score, glad to see some unfortunate folks get a good meal. We would do "Baltimore Pit Beef" with top round. We would skewer and rotisserie over hardwood coals while basting with "crik" water. We would just carve it off the skewer until it was too rare, then back on the fire for another beer or so. Great with thinly sliced onion, a dash of salt and horseradish. Yumm!

RG

Chaps-Pit-Beef-Eater-National-189.0.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky