Imusa lid makes a great pizza pan.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
The lid doesn't seem to fit the bottom of the pot anymore, so I was left with a lid and nothing to do with it. Then I had a thought, I'll just drill out the rivets, pop the handle off and use it as a pizza pan in the oven. No, it won't fit in the mini, but we do a lot of weeknight pizzas and this makes quick work of it.
Yes I know a stone or a dedicated wood fired pizza oven is far superior, as is grilled pizza, so there is no need to remind me. [emoji]128516[/emoji]

Yeah I was pretty bummed just because putting the lid on the bottom gives a nice seal and keeps everything straight. Sometimes the pot will sit slightly cockeyed causing an air leak.

That's why I bolted mine on. It was a horrible fit! The good thing is with the three bolts on the bottom is when I take the pot off the bolts act as a stand and the pot itself doesn't touch the ground...

Yeah I was pretty bummed just because putting the lid on the bottom gives a nice seal and keeps everything straight. Sometimes the pot will sit slightly cockeyed causing an air leak.

Yeah or the pot gets stuck with in there! A friend of mine here has a mini with a pot less bottom. He tried to pull the pot off to add more fuel, it stuck and then realeased the pot at which point the SMJ base was about a foot in the air. It went crashing down tipping over and sending hit ash and briquettes all over his wood deck. Not good!

Coue pics of the lid in action. You can't see it, but it's there[emoji]128516[/emoji]
This was bbq chicken pizza with bacon, onions and cheddar. The crust is what I call my "delivery style" crust. It's soft and easy to make. For a quick pizza it's great. Sure a chewy, bubbly yeasty tasting crust is good, but sometimes you just want that plain old pizza like the guy brings to the door. Plus if you have kids most seem to love it.
The recipe is dead simple:
3 cups bread flour
1.5 cups tepid (105f) water
1TB sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1 pack rapid rise yeast
1 good glug olive oil. 1 or 2 tablespoons I guess.

Mix the sugar and yeast in the hot water and wait til it foams. This isn't texhnically necessary, but old habits die hard.
Dump in everything else and mix it all together.
Let it rest 15 minutes
Then knead it on a floured board adding only enough flour so you can handle it. You want it fairly sticky. Only knead 2 minutes or so,, you're not really concerned with developing gluten.
Oil your bowl and put the dough in, turning over to coat with oil. Let rise for an hour.
Punch it down, make your pie(s) and bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

The main differences between this and most dough recipes I've seen are the higher water to flour ratio and the fact that it's not kneaded nearly as much. It yields a very soft dough that's very easy to work. It's not as elastic so you really have to form it on the board or in the pan, but it's elastic enough not to tear easily. I actually first came up with this one evening when we'd had a cocktail or two and I decided I wanted pizza. I went by memory and though my memory was pretty much wrong, I was very happy with the results.

That's why I bolted mine on. It was a horrible fit! The good thing is with the three bolts on the bottom is when I take the pot off the bolts act as a stand and the pot itself doesn't touch the ground...
That is brilliant! Mine is pop riveted and the pot got very cold on the ice ground when I added fuel during my smoke. 

As for the Imusa lid, I think they have some quality control issues. My lid fit fine and the 7440 grate slit all the way to the bottom without modification. Maybe it's just luck of the draw. 

But hey! That is one tasty looking pizza you got there. 

improvise, adapt, overcome.....especially after a few cocktails.....wonder how that dough would be after an overnight rest in the fridge???......rock on, Willie
It gets more like a traditional pizza crust. The rest allows the gluten to form and the yeast to do their thing, giving it a more "sourdough like" flavor and a more chewy texture. I gave half a batch to a friend of mine and he didn't cook it until the next day and that's what he reported.

The lid won't fit on the pot. That was kinda the whole reason I needed something else to do with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky