I'm confused

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
20230410_154602.jpg

This picture was about 2 hours into it. I added a little sausage

Why do people wrap briskets? Bottom line: to melt tough collagen connective tissue of a hard-working muscle more quickly so the meat will be tender. Melted collagen makes it juicy, not myoglobin or fat. Collagen doesn't melt in a smoker until north of 150‐160°F, well past medium rare.

That medium rare pic shown above makes me question the labeling of the meat. I've seen brisket points cut to resemble tri tips. After grilling/smoking/roasting far more than a thousand tri tips, I know the cut of meat. I wonder if someone has cut a tri tip/bottom sirloin to resemble a brisket flat?

Even a Wagyu brisket-flat cooked to medium rare would be chewy due to the weight-bearing collagen.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
This picture is from about 2 hours into it

Attachments

• 20230410_154602.jpg
    20230410_154602.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 10
Another tangent question, how do you look for hot and cold spots in a smoke house? Is there a smoke house version of a biscuit test or is the design such that it’s not needed?

This picture was about 2 hours into it.
Hard to tell, but my first reaction was "that's not a flat," but I can't be 100% certain. It absolutely isn't a tri tip cut, so that's off the table.

As far as the redness, I've corned top and bottom rounds, plus tri tips. Whatever that cut of meat is, it is possible it was injected with a solution to tenderize it, a solution that included curing salt to some degree. The label would have to have that info.

I think the difference is how high I had it above my heat source. My smokehouse is 6' tall lol

Sure did, 197° actually when I pulled it off maybe bcuz my smokehouse is 6' tall and not right on top of or close to the heat source??

Meat that temps out at 197* is 197* no-matter where it sits in your smoke house. My best guess would be that either your therm isn't reading correctly, or the end of the probe was too close to the edge of the meat.

Chris

As far as the redness, I've corned top and bottom rounds, plus tri tips. Whatever that cut of meat is, it is possible it was injected with a solution to tenderize it, a solution that included curing salt to some degree. The label would have to have that info.
I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it doesn't look like a cured brisket to me.

Reactions: chopsaw
And that's why I asked if we were looking at the same picture . Wouldn't see a ring if there was one . Thought maybe he had changed the picture and I was still seeing medium rare beef .

Reactions: Steve H
The OP's original picture looks more like this medium rare chuck.
That pectoral muscle is part of the brisket flat , but normally gets trimmed off and stays with the chuck primal when the animal is broke down . Also called special trim and most times goes into ground beef .
This is the one above before slicing .
1681818517580.jpeg
It's a brisket
And it looks fantastic .

Reactions: grillmaster brian
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky