im a weber grill newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Depending on the condition of the grills Button.  Hose them off and fire them up.  The great thing about Weber is the parts are readily available by Weber or HomeDepot or Lowes. Must have for the kettle IMO are the weber chimney for starting and the new style grate that the sides lift up.  

Last edited:
I too am new to the Weber Grill and recently purchased the 22.5 Gold version of the grill. The first thing I tried on it was a beer butt chicken. I have made dozens of these on my gas grill. My problem was that the lid would not sit tight due to the top of the chicken sticking up too high by about 1 inch. Not a big bird either, 5 lbs. I tried both of my chicken beer butt holders and that did not help at all. Any ideas or mods?

The greatest grill ever made...the question is what CAN'T you do on a kettle?

Kettles, grill, smoke and bake... I use a big kettle, small kettle in the form of a mini, and kettle parts in my UDS.

Last edited:
Do your tday turkey on the Weber and you will never put one in the oven again.
I cooked my first turkey on a weber in about 1980, I haven't taken one near a oven since.
If you truly want to kick it up a notch, brine the bird overnight. I use Alton Brown's brine (available on the Food Network website).
Enjoy

One thing I like to do is fresh asparagus.  I season them on a platter with salt and pepper and then spray with butter.  I get the grill going by pouring a full lit chimney in charcoal baskets on either side of the grill and put the asparagus in the middle.  I just roll them around with tongs every 5 minutes or so until they turn bright green and I test them by pinching the root end of the thick ones with my tongs.  If they all have a good give when I squeeze them I pull them off.  Been a favorite side dish that I can throw on after I finish any meat that I had been cooking because they only take 10 minutes give or take a few.

I also like to do chicken wings.  I cut them up and throw them in a bag with McCormicks Mesquite maranade mix with a little splash of sweet baby ray's bbq sauce in zip lock back for a few hours before I plan on cooking.  I set the grill up with the charcoal baskets in the middle and put the wings around the outside in a circle.  I cook them till 165, which takes 40 minutes or so depending on how many I have and if I have to do different batches.  I got the idea from   I had tried many other ways before this including searing them and moving them over, but I just couldn't keep up and I hated watching the skin burn up while trying to move them around.  This way I just put them on and close the lid without worrying about flareups

Last edited:
I have a 22.5 Weber, and other than keep the grate clean and lubricated, there's not much more that I do. Every once-in-a-while, I'll scrape out the build-up that gets in the lid and the bowl.

I've learned from my WSM water bowl that the porcelain really holds up! I've actually used a stainless steel scrubby on it with no problem, although I do it somewhat gently. There are probably some folks that wouldn't advise this.

If the outside is dirty, you could use a scrubby (plastic, if you're nervous about it), and some dish detergent.

How dirty is it? You usually don't see any rust...or at least I've never seen any on mine. Not sure about the gas grill: I have one (not a Weber though), but it usually stays in the garage.

Happy cookin'!

OK yall, I got a Weber grill and a Weber gas grill from a friend of mine that is moving and can't take them with him. My question is, what do I need to do to clean them up?  Do I need to make any Mods on the charcoal grill?The charcoal grill is 22.5 in. model. Thanks
Oops! Didn't realize there was a second page. My post was in reply to this one on the first page.......

I have a 22.5 Weber, and other than keep the grate clean and lubricated, there's not much more that I do. Every once-in-a-while, I'll scrape out the build-up that gets in the lid and the bowl.

I've learned from my WSM water bowl that the porcelain really holds up! I've actually used a stainless steel scrubby on it with no problem, although I do it somewhat gently. There are probably some folks that wouldn't advise this.

If the outside is dirty, you could use a scrubby (plastic, if you're nervous about it), and some dish detergent.

How dirty is it? You usually don't see any rust...or at least I've never seen any on mine. Not sure about the gas grill: I have one (not a Weber though), but it usually stays in the garage.

Happy cookin'!
Mine rusted at the welds but it is 35 years old. I cleaned, repaired, sanded, and repainted it with high temp engine paint and it's like brand new with still the flavor of 35 years of smokin!

Mine rusted at the welds but it is 35 years old. I cleaned, repaired, sanded, and repainted it with high temp engine paint and it's like brand new with still the flavor of 35 years of smokin!
th_nopicsye3.gif

Are you talking about the Smokey Mountain or a regular Weber grill?

Either one is an excellent piece of equipment for any type of grilling or smoking.  I have both and use the Smokey Mountain for slow (225-250 degree) smoking of any type of meat. Congratulations and good luck as you enjoy grilling and cooking food over which your family and friends will rave.

This is a rustoleum high heat enamel paint. Usually meant for engines. They have a few different kinds and this was the highest temp resistance I found. The blueended up being a little bit lighter than I wanted so I plan on buying a dark grey or go back to black sometime in the next few months but haven't had the time to redo it yet. I'm happy with the product, just not pumped with the color.

Forgot no links allowed...

Last edited:
Not really a mod, but an accessory that will expand the capacity vertically so you don't run into the chicken being too big issue.  

Smoke-EZ.com. (no financial interest in this product, I just love.) 

I use one on my Weber and have for the most part stopped using my horizontal offset and use the Weber for smoking everything.

Not really a mod, but an accessory that will expand the capacity vertically so you don't run into the chicken being too big issue.  

Smoke-EZ.com. (no financial interest in this product, I just love.) 

I use one on my Weber and have for the most part stopped using my horizontal offset and use the Weber for smoking everything.
It's basically turning it into a bigger mini wsm.  Not sure about the price tag of $200!    

Yes, with the bonus of having the Weber for grilling and saving $200 vs. buying them separately.  

Been looking at those Pizza gizmos ATS... Seriously considering it.  I like the blue.  I'm a proud owner of a GWK  Brian

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky