Illinois! The birthplace of BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maynard002000

Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Rockford, IL
Just kidding. Illnois is the birthplace of potholes and high taxes. Thats about it.

I'm the new guy from the great frozen Land of Lincoln. I've always like grilling on a Weber kettle. But in the past I've stuck with your basic dogs, burgers, and chicken. Maybe a pork chop or a steak every once in a while.

But in the last few weeks, I've been reading and trying to cook real BBQ. I started out with bacon wrapped jalapenos, which turned out good but were atomically hot. Hense the name. I then tried chicken breasts low and slow. Those turned out great and were probablly the best chicken I've ever done.

Today I tried ribs for the first time. Gave them a dry rub and wrapped them in plastic wrap. Kept them in the fridge for a few hours. Got the Weber up to 225 and threw on some hickory chips from the grill aisle of the grocery store. Put the ribs on and let her go. I was able to keep the temp bettween 200 and 265 for 4 hours straight. Didn't have to pull the lid even once. But I do need to work on keeping the temp closer to 225

I just use a standard 22.5" Weber kettle set up for 2 zone cooking. I bought a Maverick remote thermometer and drilled a hole in the grill for the probes. In a year or two I'd like to upgrade to a real smoker, but for now the kettle works fine.

Me and the wife loved the ribs. I look forward to learning new techniques and trying new things. Here are the pics!

Dry rub after a few hours in the fridge...

Looks great after 4 hours!

Not bad for a rookie!

Reactions: smokinmojo
Glad you joined us Maynard, :welcome1: from North Dakota!|
Nice job on the ribs, they look excellent! Never give up the Weber kettle if you do get something else, always a good solid multi-purpose grill and smoker.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   Those really look good !
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Anything that produces controlled smoke IS a real smoker, as your QViews prove. Great job. Maybe the next polar vortex (what a stupid term) will float some of that beautiful ribs aroma down this way.

Im right across the river in indiana down not far from evansville. Outside a town called mt vernon. Where are you from. The ribs look great by the way!  

Welcome to the forums! We are happy that you joined the group. You'll find plenty of information here with over 1 million posts! Make the search bar at the top of the page your new friend.  Or, simply post your question in the area that applies. You'll get plenty of helpful advice. 

Also consider enrolling in Jeff's 5 day E course. It gives you lots of great information to start you off on the right foot! Best of all is that it's free!

Again, WELCOME 

Brian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky