if you could what would you cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

charcoal junkie

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
hoople, nd
Of all the meats in the world what would you love to try and cook. I think I would like to either smoke or make some kind of sausage from Puffin.

Last edited:
Puffin sounds great, but I'd far choose tomahawk zebra chops (grilled and smoked as to do a taste test and see which I prefer) and then steak tartare made of raw horse meat; as I have had so many tartares, and carpaccios, but never had horse and so both Zebra and Horse, are on my list!

Oh, and peacock would be number 3,

So:

1. Grilled Zebra Chop.

2. Raw horse meat steak tartare.

3. Oven Roasted Peacock (with my prune, olive, etc., fabulous recipe)...

Cheers! - Leah

Hi there and Happy new year!

I loved this thread so much!

And seeing as I just "revised" my list for 2014; I'd love to sample the following:

1. Raw horse meat steak tartare.

2. Grilled Zebra Chop & Smoked Zebra Chop, as to compare.

3. Smoked Starfish on a stick!

4. Cooked Seahorse.

5. Roasted Peacock.

OK, that is the "OFFICIAL" and complete list now, of foods which I have not had, and that I'd love to try in 2014!

And you????

Cheers!!!!! - Leah

Interesting thread. Hmm....probably not a carnivore. Karma can come back and getcha......and I can't think of a predator that I truly have a desire to try. Well I guess that's not really true, I've had bear many times, but they are an omnivore aren't they?

Ok to the list to grill/smoke:

1. Nutria....I've had muskrat and if cleaned correctly is a very sweet/rich dark meat. I'd have to think Nutria would be similar based on diet and genus. In addition I like the idea of eating something that has become a pest yet has solid nutritional value and taste,

2. Wild Burmese Python, these critters have taken over the Everglades, wouldn't it be great to come up with a BBQ recipe that would encourage their harvest? If we could interest the designers, as long as it says Michael Kohrs or Coach I'd have to buy the purses for my wife

3. Water Buffalo, for one thing....I want to hunt one, for the second, smoking a Water Buffalo brisket would just be awesome. I'd have to find a bottle of Pappy and pull a cork for that one.

I like the Burmese Python idea.  We really do need to find a way to reduce their numbers in south Florida. 

Hmmmm, I think I would like to smoke a giant Grouper or Sea Bass.  I have smoked local fresh water fish with limited success.

I just read an article about an excavation in ancient Pompeii and it made me want to add one to my list, Giraffe. They found butchered giraffe among the kitchen scraps of the public eating houses (restaurants) Can you imagine the stuffed loin I could get out of one of them???? Boy oh Boy, I'd like a go at some giraffe back straps, loin, brisket, etc, etc, etc. I may need to modify my pit to use as a smoker.

Vaq

I have done water buffalo, eel doesn't agree with me so I don't think python will either.
The North American game I see here is intriguing because I can see it but not taste it.
I have not given up on camel,wallaby will happen.
Animals that only tribal Aboriginals can hunt,sea turtle,dugong( manatee) & magpie geese are interesting. I would eat the geese no problem but leave the others.

Not sure Mick, I have had eel and was none too impressed (could have been the presentations, but did not like it either time) I have had rattlesnake on a couple occasions and actually enjoyed it. One time it was prepared in a trinity type preparation and the other times a more simple grilling with lime juice, fresh butter and dried chili. I am sure that comparing rattlesnake to Python is akin to comparing game hens to goose....but it is possible they would be more similar than eel (both times I had eel, it was a Burmese preparation, try as she might I had a special friend that just could not win me over to her cuisine)

Vaq

Last edited:
I enjoy eel, although as mentioned in another thread, I don't like all the sugary sauce that the sushi bars slather all over their warmed "unagi." I prefer it just grilled or broiled (eager to try smoked) with oil and herbs etc.

Mick, if you get camel, I hope you'll post every detail!!!! How fun!!! Cheers! - Leah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky