Identifying wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinB's

Original poster
Apr 8, 2020
Kansas City, Missouri
I am new to using bulk wood and came across a bunch for free but not sure what kind it is. Anyone willing to take a look and give me an opinion? It was already split and no leaves to use as an identifier. I took these pics of the bark, and wood grain.
20200408_230108.jpg
20200408_231610.jpg
20200408_230145.jpg

looks like pine to me and not suitable for cooking

Reactions: TNJAKE
Tough call. It doesn't really look like pine to me, but there are all sorts of pine.
If it's a hardwood you should be able to smoke with it. Is it pretty heavy?
Light some up and see what it smells like....
A softwood (like pine) will burn up pretty fast.
By the way, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinB's
Looks like you may have some ash. What part of the county are you in? Emerald ash bore has wiped out a large part of the ash tree population East of the Mississippi. If it is ash, it will burn hot, produce little smoke of neutral quality and leave a pile of white ashes. I mostly use it in fire pit or to provide supplement heat when using cherry..

Looks like you may have some ash. What part of the county are you in? Emerald ash bore has wiped out a large part of the ash tree population East of the Mississippi. If it is ash, it will burn hot, produce little smoke of neutral quality and leave a pile of white ashes. I mostly use it in fire pit or to provide supplement heat when using cherry..
His profile says Kansas City, MO

might be able to pick it out of here,the white sap on the right bottom is 1 reason I say pine.

there Is a simple way to determine if it is pine....split a piece and take a sniff. There is no mistaking the smell of pine resin.

I have not noticed any resin on the wood and does not have an essence of pine either. I was told it was apple, but it did not the appearance of most apple I have used. I will be burning some in my fire pit tonight to get a better idea of the smoke it produces and the burn time. Thanks for all the great info, and glad to be a part of this amazing group!

It's tough to identify wood without any leaves. It does kinda look like apple.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky