Identifying good smoking wood.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jimbo -
Not sure on that one man.
You know, the Sassafras leaves are harvested and ground into File' powder for use as a flavoring and thickening agent in GUMBO.

The Acadians/Cajuns use it a LOT.

I'd suggest, when time allots, doing a search for something like Sassafrass wood and then add Acadian or Cajun and also add smoking, BBQ, cooking or see what develops.

Sounds like a lot of work, but just a thought man.

SKOL
V

I actually went into the store I mentioned above, and asked them why it might have been on a list of woods not to use for smoking, and they said the flavor it gives is REALLY strong and that you only want to use a little bit of it along with a weaker wood. I picked up 3.5 pounds of pecan chunks while I was there and a rib rack. I hope to smoke a turkey breast and some ribs this weekend (maybe some ABTs as well), and thought I'd give the pecan a whirl.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky