Ideas For Freezer Into A Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cajun Smokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
Recent hurricanes have left me with a full size stand up freezer that no longer works as intended. Best I can tell, it's a late 70s, early 80s model with coils in the shelves. I am hoping to get a little feed back from those that may have already been through "lessons learned". My idea is to remove the inner plastic and refrigeration, to replace with a stainless or aluminum lining. Fabricate a lower section to house the usual electric or propane heat source. Assuming I will need to replace the door gasket with a stove gasket, not certain here. Any modifications or ideas you have would be appreciated. Hope to get started in a few weeks.

Reactions: slapaho_injun
slapaho_injun slapaho_injun has outstanding build thread.

I have a old (50's?) Westinghouse fridge in the garage for a conversion. It has a full metal interior.
Unless you are metal fabricator, converting a plastic interior is going to cost you a lot of money

Thanks. I spent about $600 after paying $20 for the fridge at an estate sale. That’s with a friend doing the welding for a case of beer each day he worked on it. The metal was very expensive. I would put my pulled pork, baby back ribs & smoked fish up against any electric smoker goods tho. I definitely get better results with this stick burner. It is a lot more work but so is anything that turns out better than most.

Reactions: Fueling Around
slapaho_injun slapaho_injun has outstanding build thread.

I have a old (50's?) Westinghouse fridge in the garage for a conversion. It has a full metal interior.
Unless you are metal fabricator, converting a plastic interior is going to cost you a lot of money
I am a fabricator by trade but I know material is still going to cost me. Even thinking of wood vs metal interior, just not confident either way yet lol

Thanks. I spent about $600 after paying $20 for the fridge at an estate sale. That’s with a friend doing the welding for a case of beer each day he worked on it. The metal was very expensive. I would put my pulled pork, baby back ribs & smoked fish up against any electric smoker goods tho. I definitely get better results with this stick burner. It is a lot more work but so is anything that turns out better than most.
So you fuel with only wood? Are you able to regulate temperatures fairly easy?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky