I want to know what you spend on smoking wood and charcoal when you smoke your turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

laelaface

Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Hey everyone

Long time lurker, first time poster.  I've smoked lots of things, but this being Turkey time, well here I am. I can upload photo's of this years bird if I need to. My mom wants to chip in around this time of year for the family bird. I normally cover all expenses but this year, well it helped. She is shocked at how much it cost. This year, was a 14 lb bird, weather was warm, low 70s but very VERY windy. Ended up needing only 1 5 lb bag of Apple wood, and had to run to store to get a 2 lb bag which was more than enough. And 1 big bad of Kingstons, and a little more from another bag. To me, not much. 

This is my 6th or 7th year smoking a Turkey, ever since I did it the first time, family wants me to do it every year. I've read, and finally learned first hand, the difference between smoking in snow vs warm weather like today. I will never go back to snow on the ground smoking again. I love to smoke, and don't mind it. But I find it takes just too much wood and charcoal to keep it going. Anyway, to help settle this with my mom, I want to know what you spend on average. I'm not even sure how to really frame the question, since there are so many variables.

Today, I got a 14 lb bird, 24$, I spent about 10$ on more wood/charcoal, which was to much, my mom, probably spent benefit of the doubt, 15$. So that's 49$, and for that you get a delicious, awesome rub, apple smoked bird that literally falls off the bone. Oh and I smoked 7 hours, maybe a hair too long, but I always stress over family getting sick. And this year I think my temp on my smoker sucks, as when I did check it my temp gauge said 175 in the breast. So who knows? 

Again, 14 lbs, warm day low 70s, but VERY VERY windy. Thoughts?

And big big BIG thanks to everyone here. I've been coming here a long time, and I've been able to smoke some of the best food I've ever eaten, and it's so awesome when people compliment me and say it's better than any restaurant than they can go to. Yeah, I'm human, old fashioned male pride.

Cheers

M

About $2 worth of pellets and maybe $4 worth of propane plus whatever the turkey costs, I'm smoking a rib roast tomorrow and will probably use about the same.

I see this is your first post here, when you get a minute would you do us a favor and go to Roll Call and introduce yourself so we can get to know you and give you a proper welcome, also would you add your location to your profile, we like knowing where you are when we talk to you, Thanks!

Sure, where is Roll Call? Or will I find it, if I'm not so lazy :)

And I am a straight charcoal guy, and I wasn't even aware you could smoke with propane. 

Wood for me is free, i use the trimmings from the trees we have on our property.

Charcole I will go through about 15lb. I bought 20ea 20lb bags on sale and it was $0.25 lb when I got it.

I know that does not help much, but it really depends on the type of smoker and the enviroment on how much you use.

When you say charcoal, what you mean exactly?...I never smoke with briquettes but always use "lump charcoal." I think it burns hotter, longer and more consistently. I mainly use it because I never have to worry about chemical additives.

I use Kingsford Blue....... I just don't like the amount of ash I get from it. I have made a charcole/fire basket for my smoker. I can usually run it for 8hrs before I have to empty the ash pan. I find if I burn more on the wood side and less charcole I have less ash.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky