I screwed something up....badly.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I agree, except the Danger Zone temps are " 39˚ to 140˚ in no more than 4 hours". Either way, I would toss it for sure.

You don't have to worry about the time from 32˚ to 39˚, but out of the fridge that doesn't take long.

Bear

A cookie sheet baffel isn't a bad idea, and I can definitely do that in the short term, until I can figure out how to get the real deal done. I never thought of the potato/onion thermometer holder before. I assume that those meat thermometers only read from the very tip of it? (Otherwise I would think that the actual temp would be thrown off by the onion/potato. I found a website online that sells grill baskets, pre-made or to order. (http://www.charcoalbasket.com/page/home) Does anyone know the dimensions of the basket I'd need for my model offhand? They dont sell my exact model. The basket seems pricey, but I lack the equipment to make one myself, so, it is what it is, and if I do this, I may as well do it right. I should probably buy fireplace brick, too. Once again though guys, thanks for all of your input. I was pretty bent out of shape that my first attempt was a failure, but now I see why..

3 hours later and I've just finished scrubbing the creosote out of my Smoke'N Pit. Lesson learned, the hard way. I still have to re-season the grill. Hoping to get that done before football.

Thanks so much for those links, Johnny, those look like 2 easy and excellent options. Does that expanded metal really hold up that well to heat?

Here are some cheap east to make charcoal baskets that work well:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/89796/i-call-it-the-20-20-charcoal-basket  

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/85443/cgsp-charbroil-charcoal-basket-mod  

The expanded metal one requires more tools and work, but is sturdier, the shaker basket one is super, fast and easy, and it does actually hold up quite well. Both are about $20 to make.

I believe so - there are a lot of folks that have used that method. Personally I was lazy when I had my Char-griller with the offset firebox, I used the shaker basket with the bolts. I was a little concerned with how well the shaker basket would hold up since it was made out of very thin wire, but I had no problems with it at all, and the expanded metal is probably 4x thicker than the basket wire.

I would bet that if you start a post titled "Does expanded metal work for a charcoal basket?" you will get lots of input from folks who actually have used the expanded metal.

Thanks so much for those links, Johnny, those look like 2 easy and excellent options. Does that expanded metal really hold up that well to heat?

one thing that i did with my smoke n pit when i made my baffle. take the charcoal pan in the bottom of the smoke chamber if you still have it, and raise it above the hole where the smoke and heat comes through to the smoke chamber...worked like a charm for me...also to fill any holes from warmer rack take some bolts with some washers on both sides and seal it up...now as pertaining to the temp control for smoking...in the fire box take your charcoal rack that you have already used, and flip it upside down...depending on how hot it actually got it should have warped the charcoal rack to the shape of the fire box...that will make it where there is enough room for air to get through, but the downside to it, is the ash that collects as it burns will choke your fire out, so every 2 hours or so, just scoop it out with a big spatula...thats what i do and just look at the qview that i produce...not to toot my own horn but it looks pretty good...good luck and happy smoking

Hey Cobble got the same model and yes it is very difficult to maintain a temp with the rig as is. I made some small adjustments that helped, first I bought some aluminum flashing for duct work and rolled it up, then I put it down my smoke stack all the way to the grate. Second I got the stock grate in the firebox and built a stand out of expanded metal to raise it up 3 inches this keeps the coals away from the ashes during long cooks. Just those 2 adjustments helped alot, I am able to burn at 225 for at least an hour and a half sometimes 2 hours before adding a half a chimney. 

BUT I have had problems recently, Mainly I am thinking my new grill thermometers are too low or not accurate. Either way I am still learning, the nice thing is that mainly everyone on here is extremely helpful so listen to their advice and all will be well. This website is awesome and I know that I am grateful I found it!!!

Any problems or questions just ask I will help if I can

I am hoping that I can get more than an hour or so out of a basket full of fuel. Since heat loss is the enemy here, I'd like to do everything I can to avoid opening doors for as long as I can

Hey Cobble got the same model and yes it is very difficult to maintain a temp with the rig as is. I made some small adjustments that helped, first I bought some aluminum flashing for duct work and rolled it up, then I put it down my smoke stack all the way to the grate. Second I got the stock grate in the firebox and built a stand out of expanded metal to raise it up 3 inches this keeps the coals away from the ashes during long cooks. Just those 2 adjustments helped alot, I am able to burn at 225 for at least an hour and a half sometimes 2 hours before adding a half a chimney. 

BUT I have had problems recently, Mainly I am thinking my new grill thermometers are too low or not accurate. Either way I am still learning, the nice thing is that mainly everyone on here is extremely helpful so listen to their advice and all will be well. This website is awesome and I know that I am grateful I found it!!!

Any problems or questions just ask I will help if I can

My guess is you will get about 2 or 3 hrs., but that will vary with wind and outside temp. One thing that a lot of folks do to help is put a welders blanket over the main cooking chamber during the smoke. It helps keep the heat in better and longer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky