I made a booboo.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bomccorkle

Original poster
May 29, 2011
My daughter (7sorry months old) has been sick so there has been a serious shortage of sleep around my house. Anyways I smooth slept thru my alarm to wake up at 2 o'clock this morning to start my packer brisket this morning .

Due to my work schedule I have to cook it today or it will go to waste so about 8am I got it on there. I was thinking if I raise my temps to about 300 instead of my usual 225 I may be able to get it off of there by 8 tonight or so.....

Any ideas??

While I have never had much luck cooking one "fast" many BBQ joints around here cook them over a pit instead of a smoker and can yield a fully cooked brisket in 3-5 hours that would have taken 8+ hours in a true smoke. What I would probably do is just like you, raise the temp in smoke to 300 or so and about 3 hours before serving time, transfer it to a foil pan with a cup or two of a brine, beer, worstershire or something "wet" in it, foil it over and stick it in the oven. Let that juice along with the fat drippings coming out "steam" the meat into tenderness. I did this a couple of times in similar situations to yours and it worked out ok.

THIS WILL NOT BE IDEAL, and there will be a fine line between making it good and making it mush. However I have found that the family would rather have a mushy smokey brisket than one that needed a chainsaw to slice. They are much less judgemental than some competition would be if you did this ;)

I have never done it but there a lots of people who cook their brisket at 300-350 degrees and they have great results. I believe Myron Mixon always cooks his at these higher temps and look how successful he has been at competitions.

What Ross said, most of us don't do it that way, but in your situation I would give it a try. Let us know how it turns out, we may start doing them that way too!

You can do briskets or butts at 275-300 without any worries. Sometimes low and slow doesn't fit in with the rest of the schedule. Go for it and enjoy!

Excellent. Thanks for the help guys:-) it seemed alright of an idea being as pr-smoker id cook in the oven

Oops.gif

Bottom.gif

Search for high temp brisket.  post by mgwerks is great info on brisket in 5 hrs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky