I Love Short Ribs, With Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I love short ribs. However, they are hard to find here in the Canadian Rockies and they are hideously expensive. A grocery flyer came around with short ribs at a price that wasn't usurious. I had to have some!

I started by making a marinade of 3/4 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, a teaspoon of garlic powder and a teaspoon of dried ginger. I marinated the short ribs in the fridge for 24 hours turning them occasionally. 

I took the ribs out of the marinade and put them in the fridge uncovered for an hour. I reserved the marinade to put in the foil later.

I put the ribs in the Bradley set at 240 F with bourbon oak barrel biscuits and let them cook for 3 hours.

Then I put them in a foil pan and poured the reserved marinade on them. I covered them with foil and let them go for 2 hours at 240 F.

Here they are after the 2 hours. Out of the marinade and back in the Bradley for one more hour.

The finished product.

The Verdict: I love short ribs. These were tender, moist, flavourful and just wonderful. I love short ribs. This is the first time I've tried smoking them and I was worried they wouldn't be as good as braised. I love short ribs. These were better! I love short ribs. Braised tend to fall apart but these still had bite while being tender. I love short ribs. I will make these every time I can get short ribs. Did I mention I love short ribs.

Disco

Reactions: stovebolt
Disco, you had my wife and me cracking up trying to figure out if you loved short ribs or not.  Great post!  I'm going to have to try to find some short ribs now since I've given up on the dino bones they sell around here.  Thanks for the laughs and the mouthwatering pics!

Ray

Disco, you had my wife and me cracking up trying to figure out if you loved short ribs or not.  Great post!  I'm going to have to try to find some short ribs now since I've given up on the dino bones they sell around here.  Thanks for the laughs and the mouthwatering pics!

Ray
Thanks, Ray!

She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn't care for braised meat but even she liked these ribs. The beef ribs they sell around here just don't have much meat on them so the short ribs are a nice change. Sounds like you have the same problem there.

I would recommend these if you like beef ribs.

Disco

I think you like short ribs?

I know I love them.

Looks great Disco.

Ha Ha Ha. To bad I am out of them. I don't know if I can buy them here.

Man, wish I could come up. You just a little far.

Har! Maybe we can meet 1/2 way some day and we'll each bring our minis.
Sounds good.    LOL

We go 6 hours south every year for vacation.   Maybe go north sometime.

Looks great! The marinade reminds me of Korean short ribs (the flanken style ones) that I usually grill hot and fast. I would love to try smoking them with that marinade and I love the idea of reserving the marinade for the foiling process!

Disco

I love short ribs! I just can't figure out why you don't? Maybe a 
canada-flag-68.gif
 thing
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
!

Oh well as always with any of your post. THEY LOOK GREAT!

Happy smoken.

David

Sounds good.    LOL

We go 6 hours south every year for vacation.   Maybe go north sometime.
Well, we have beautiful scenery, some great food and we love our neighbours!
Looks great! The marinade reminds me of Korean short ribs (the flanken style ones) that I usually grill hot and fast. I would love to try smoking them with that marinade and I love the idea of reserving the marinade for the foiling process!
I know what you mean about the flanken style. We get them (rarely) but the supermarket usually puts some incredibly sweet marinade on them. If you like them, you will love them smoked.

Disco

I love short ribs! I just can't figure out why you don't? Maybe a 
canada-flag-68.gif
 thing
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
!

Oh well as always with any of your post. THEY LOOK GREAT!

Happy smoken.

David
Har, us Canadians are know for being somewhat quiet in our preferences. Thanks for the kind words.

Disco

Great lookin meal Disco..... I'd take beef short ribs anytime, haven't seen them around here lately though... I better look into that, it's just not right ! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Great lookin meal Disco..... I'd take beef short ribs anytime, haven't seen them around here lately though... I better look into that, it's just not right !
biggrin.gif
Thanks, Brew. I think someone should institute an inquiry as to why common cuts like brisket, short ribs and flank steak are so hard to get now!

Great lookin meal Disco..... I'd take beef short ribs anytime, haven't seen them around here lately though... I better look into that, it's just not right ! :biggrin:
Thanks, Brew. I think someone should institute an inquiry as to why common cuts like brisket, short ribs and flank steak are so hard to get now!

I totally agree, in fact I think there should be a Q'ers section in the meat department..... Just for us die hard Q'ers..... :biggrin:

I love short ribs. However, they are hard to find here in the Canadian Rockies and they are hideously expensive. A grocery flyer came around with short ribs at a price that wasn't usurious. I had to have some!

I started by making a marinade of 3/4 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, a teaspoon of garlic powder and a teaspoon of dried ginger. I marinated the short ribs in the fridge for 24 hours turning them occasionally. 

I took the ribs out of the marinade and put them in the fridge uncovered for an hour. I reserved the marinade to put in the foil later.

I put the ribs in the Bradley set at 240 F with bourbon oak barrel biscuits and let them cook for 3 hours.

Then I put them in a foil pan and poured the reserved marinade on them. I covered them with foil and let them go for 2 hours at 240 F.

Here they are after the 2 hours. Out of the marinade and back in the Bradley for one more hour.

The finished product.

The Verdict: I love short ribs. These were tender, moist, flavourful and just wonderful. I love short ribs. This is the first time I've tried smoking them and I was worried they wouldn't be as good as braised. I love short ribs. These were better! I love short ribs. Braised tend to fall apart but these still had bite while being tender. I love short ribs. I will make these every time I can get short ribs. Did I mention I love short ribs.

Disco
ok Disco.....now how do you really feel about beef short ribs lol.... I agree they can be smoked to perfection with so much flavor.  I ditto that......I love Short Beef Ribs too!

Reactions: welshrarebit

ok Disco.....now how do you really feel about beef short ribs lol.... I agree they can be smoked to perfection with so much flavor.  I ditto that......I love Short Beef Ribs too!
Well, you know us Canadians. We tend to be a little equivocal in expressing ourselves.

Those look great, Disco!

Short ribs are a favorite of mine.  I like to smoke the tougher cuts because of that stronger beefy flavor they have?

Yeah, we used to get those cuts a lot cheaper down here.  Demographics have changed.  More people who know how to make them tasty. Demand drives price.

Now the prices are way up there.

We still enjoy them when we spot a good sale.

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky