I like big butts, I can't deny...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kbarnes12

Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
I have a family get together next Saturday for about 20 people. A cousin is doing ribs and I volunteered to do pulled pork. I had two 9 pound butts in the freezer that I thawed out. One, I injected Italian dressing into and the other, I injected Cherry Dr. Pepper, then I slathered both with yellow mustard and then rub. Started them at 7:00 yesterday evening at 225º with hickory and oak blend pellets in my smoke tube. 23 hours and 46 minutes later they finally hit 203º. I used my Auber Instruments Smoker Controller and was to get about 5.5 hours of sleep between checking the water pan and loading the smoking tube. I love the Auber controller, it keeps the temperature of the smoker so consistent. I took a screen shot of my app 18 hours in and was going to do one at the end, but running the microwave tripped the breaker my smoker was on and reset the app. Here are some pictures of the process.

Start.jpeg 18hours.jpeg 23:46.jpeg 6-18 smoke.jpeg

Might be a bit heavy on the smoke and bark.
I load the smoke tube once. I like more smoke, but wife says no more.
Depends on the audience, I guess.
I'd be there elbowing your family out of my way to the food.

Reactions: kbarnes12
Looks good and great job going outside of the box and doing the injections!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky