I know several of you have messed up spines as well.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh good, I found the old guys complain about their issues thread. :emoji_laughing:

I have had chronic asthma since I was a kid. Every time a Dr changes my prescription for a cheaper one it is never as effective as what they replace.

10 years ago I had a spikey kidney stone that convinced me I was going to die within 24 hours. I was in so much pain I was in a fetal position on the floor until my wife got home and called 911. I had no idea on what was happening at the time. They used a sonic machine to break it up and I pissed shards of glass for a couple weeks. I do not wish that on anyone.

At 54 years I now have one of those pill boxes with 7 night and day boxes to make sure I don't forget to take any. A few years ago I suddenly had a blood pressure problem. Now I have to take daily pills to prevent it.

Now I have arthritis in both elbows. It is so fun each time I have to lift a trash bag out of the can and bring it outside. On bad days it makes my hands so shakey it is hard to use a fork to get food from my plate to my mouth.

It all sounds really bad but overall it is just part of getting old. I just slow down and have learned to just take it easy. Retirement helps a lot.
Hello, my brother from another mother! I'm 62, and aside from the asthma, we match pain for pain.
Spikey kidney stone, check. I get a stone or two every couple years. Last one had the sonic thing, and I literally felt your pain. "Shards of glass" is exactly the same phrase I used.
Pill box, check. Just started one a few weeks ago. Until then, I wasn't taking enough pills to need one. (When I was a kid, I used to marvel at how many pills my grandfather took. Now I'm nearly there myself.)
Arthritic elbows? Probably. I busted both elbows in a fall from a ladder over 30 years ago. I feel it now.
My current complaint is an apparent bone spur in my shoulder that is pointing down and digging into the nerve cluster near my ball/socket joint. Had an MRI last week, and will have another talk with the orthopedic surgeon next week.

My shoulders more than my back. They said after 4 surgeries
"Oh your shoulders will get better" Uh huh right. The cold affects them.
I have one of those as well, this getting old crap, sure is getting old. LOL!!!

The crabbing sounds like a lot of fun and I hope your back will let you enjoy the good times. I had to do a search for Bodega Bay, so I'm assuming Dungeness crabs?

Me, too. I've also had 4 and probably need another one right now on my left.
Yes Dungeness and Rock crab, but we release the Rockie's, not much meat in them and Dungeness crab is king in my opinion.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I am in the same boat as Chris. My back is fine but my knees don't like the changing temps and my hands ache after working in cold weather. Getting old is not easy....

Jason
Jason, I was a union plumber and pipefitter for 40 years, using pipe cutters and pushing and pulling on pipe wrenches has left me with severely arthritic hands.
It takes me 30 minute of massaging them in the morning to get them moving, and this time of year they pretty much always hurt , due to the cooler temps.
No fun at all.

• Sad
Reactions: millerbuilds
Oh good, I found the old guys complain about their issues thread. :emoji_laughing:

I have had chronic asthma since I was a kid. Every time a Dr changes my prescription for a cheaper one it is never as effective as what they replace.

10 years ago I had a spikey kidney stone that convinced me I was going to die within 24 hours. I was in so much pain I was in a fetal position on the floor until my wife got home and called 911. I had no idea on what was happening at the time. They used a sonic machine to break it up and I pissed shards of glass for a couple weeks. I do not wish that on anyone.

At 54 years I now have one of those pill boxes with 7 night and day boxes to make sure I don't forget to take any. A few years ago I suddenly had a blood pressure problem. Now I have to take daily pills to prevent it.

Now I have arthritis in both elbows. It is so fun each time I have to lift a trash bag out of the can and bring it outside. On bad days it makes my hands so shakey it is hard to use a fork to get food from my plate to my mouth.

It all sounds really bad but overall it is just part of getting old. I just slow down and have learned to just take it easy. Retirement helps a lot.
The retirement sure doesn't hurt, but now my wallet hurts because I wasn't good at saving money because I didn't think I would live this long. LOL!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
He gave me a scrip for something called diclofenac - just an NSAID anti-inflammatory but not available over the counter. Since I started that, everything has eased up pain wise. My back - which ALWAYS hurts, hasn't been much over a 2 on the ouch scale all week. Normally it's about a 4. He gave me 30 days worth, gonna take em through this weekend then start rationing them. My elbow felt almost normal after 2 pills.

Diclofenac is the bomb! Its like a Advil (Ibuprofen) on steroids. They also make a cream that works great also. And its available OTC. I use it on my knees quite a bit.

Jim

Yes Dungeness and Rock crab, but we release the Rockie's, not much meat in them and Dungeness crab is king in my opinion.
I've never had Dungeness, we don't see them much on this side, but I've read that they are really good. Blue crabs are the thing over here. Maybe one day...

Reactions: forktender
Diclofenac is the bomb! Its like a Advil (Ibuprofen) on steroids. They also make a cream that works great also. And its available OTC. I use it on my knees quite a bit.

Jim
Do they make it to use like in a bubble bath? A motorcycle accident as a kid... dang German shepherd was bigger than my little Suzuki 80 and the pavement was hard. A car accident, genetics from my mom, and approximately 240,000 hogs loaded in the last 24 years has been a great help I'm sure. Sad thing is I'm only 51. Good thing my brain is only about 20 ! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Do they make it to use like in a bubble bath? A motorcycle accident as a kid... dang German shepherd was bigger than my little Suzuki 80 and the pavement was hard. A car accident, genetics from my mom, and approximately 240,000 hogs loaded in the last 24 years has been a great help I'm sure. Sad thing is I'm only 51. Good thing my brain is only about 20 ! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Well you might be able to buy it in a 55 gal drum....and just soak in it. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Jim

Jim
Yeah, I've been using that gel for a while now. It goes under the name of Voltaren. Reasonably cheap for 2 or 3 tubes at Costco.

Life-long power lifter, my back can definitely feel it. It is the arthritis in my hands that really kills me. About 15 years ago I couldn’t play upright bass any longer. Then it was electric bass. Then steel string guitar and dobro. I can still play my Strat some, and have spent the last year doing wind synth. 58 years, playing guitar since I was 7.

Last edited:
At age 38 (68 now) auto immune hemolytic anemia brought me within 2-3 hrs of dying and I was put on 100 mg of Prednisone for 6 months this led to me developing epidermal lipomatosis which is an accumulation of fatty material in the spine and as I have aged the compressive affect combined with other factors has now made it impossible to walk more than 100 feet before my legs go dead and I can't stand up for more than 2-3 minutes. Lots of pain meds and a positive outlook allows me to deal with it. I have stopped using my wood fired reverse flow smokers and now use my dump find DIY PID controlled MES 40. We all have our problems I choose to not let mine rule my life.

PS Next spring (2024) after the snow melts in in NH I will be selling the smokers. Stay tuned

• Sad
Reactions: forktender
Yeah, I've been using that gel for a while now. It goes under the name of Voltaren. Reasonably cheap for 2 or 3 tubes at Costco.
Seeing that I live in CA, Mexico north, my aunt has been bringing me tubes of Voltaren gel for over 15 years, well before it was legal in the US. The stuff works, but it wears off quickly. I was happy to see it show up at our local drug stores a few yrs ago, even though it is a lesser strength then the stuff I used to get from Mexico.

At age 38 (68 now) auto immune hemolytic anemia brought me within 2-3 hrs of dying and I was put on 100 mg of Prednisone for 6 months this led to me developing epidermal lipomatosis which is an accumulation of fatty material in the spine and as I have aged the compressive affect combined with other factors has now made it impossible to walk more than 100 feet before my legs go dead and I can't stand up for more than 2-3 minutes. Lots of pain meds and a positive outlook allows me to deal with it. I have stopped using my wood fired reverse flow smokers and now use my dump find DIY PID controlled MES 40. We all have our problems I choose to not let mine rule my life.

PS Next spring (2024) after the snow melts in in NH I will be selling the smokers. Stay tuned
Brutal, my legs go dead as well, more like the feeling when you sleep on your hand, and it gets the numb, pins and needles feeling. I hate it, but I get an epidural twice a yr, without them, I'd be screwed.

Life-long power lifter, my back can definitely feel it. It is the arthritis in my hands that really kills me. About 15 years ago I couldn’t play upright bass any longer. Then it was electric bass. Then steel string guitar and dobro. I can still play my Strat some, and have spent the last year doing wind synth. 58 years, playing guitar since I was 7.
Guitar, saves me big time, if I don't play my hands are trashed.
American Strat HSS, PRS Santana Core, PRS 245 SE, Gibson SG came stock with EMG active pick up's for electric, and a Martin acoustic. I try to play at least an hour a day, although lately it's been every other day.

Dan.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky