I know several of you have messed up spines as well.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
How are you feeling with the change of weather?
I know that I'm not the only human barometer.
I love this time of year because of duck and goose hunting and crabbing, but damn does the change in the weather kick my ass.

I've been getting our 5th wheel trailer ready for our upcoming week of crabbing in Bodega Bay. Man it feels like I am being tortured on the rack.
I can't get comfortable, so most likely no sleep for me tonight.

The joys of back and neck pain.

I hope you spiny's are dealing with the weather changes better than I am, this ain't no fun at all.

Dan.

This time of year, really takes a toll on me. Between my spine and arthritic fingers, it makes playing my guitar a little interesting, to say the least.

Crabbing, will be a blast, once camp is set up, and the crab pots are soaking. It's a lot of work, but it's fun as heck.
This year I think we have 20+ people coming up to crab camp with 5 or 6 boats with gear pullers, thank God. My back can't handle pulling 40 lb pots up from 100' plus of water anymore. The best part is there are no kids allowed for the first week, it is our rule. It's time to adult, for everyone.
After that the more kids the merrier.

I can't wait to be in the ocean again, it's been a few months since I have been out, and I really miss it.

I will post up some pictures of the area, food and maybe some sea life.

Take care of those knees, Chris.

Dan .

I've been dealing with sever lower back and leg pain for the last few years. The last 6 months have been worse, maybe the weather changing? Not sure, I'm now trying a 3rd Dr. to see if anything can be done. I'll be grateful for any help. Have fun while you're able to Dan. Sounds like you're going to have a great time.

Reactions: forktender
My shoulders more than my back. They said after 4 surgeries
"Oh your shoulders will get better" Uh huh right. The cold affects them.

• Sad
I've been getting our 5th wheel trailer ready for our upcoming week of crabbing in Bodega Bay.
The crabbing sounds like a lot of fun and I hope your back will let you enjoy the good times. I had to do a search for Bodega Bay, so I'm assuming Dungeness crabs?

My shoulders more than my back. They said after 4 surgeries
"Oh your shoulders will get better" Uh huh right. The cold affects them.
Me, too. I've also had 4 and probably need another one right now on my left.

Im sure the food, fun times, and friends will be worth the pain. But after 31 yrs of being a bedside nurse my feet, knees, and back are a pretty indicator of the weather changing!

Jim

• Sad
This time of year is the toughest for me. Had a car fall on me when I was 18 and been living with chiropractor visits ever since. Then two years ago had a stroke that's got me on blood thinners so I'm constantly cold this time of year also.

I feel for people with back pain, it is hard to find relief….. if any one needs a referral the stand by Red Bull back doc is just up the street from me, he happens to be the most experienced disc replacement doc in North America (3d model robotic surgery). Just PM me………

Last edited:
Definitely feel you ya Dan. Same issue here. Been through 2 lower back surgeries. Last one was about 15 years ago. Bottom line its a degenerative condition. Fast forward to about 5 years ago, got into a really bad situation and they put me on the table and explored to find the area and shot it up. Pain was off the charts but day after it was down to a 5 and by 3 weeks later it was a 1. Been kind of that way since but the change in weather does help it remind me. So far 2 Aleve tablets and I'm pretty much good to go. When possible, better living through pharmaceuticals :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Try some QiGong. Use google and search Qigong for back pain, Qigong balance and center. Watch a few videos. Give the ones you like a try.
It takes more than one time and as you learn various moves you can change the routine to suit you.
That's my experience. It's been all good. I have no more back pain.

Yeah, winter sucks worse for my spinal injuries. I expect the weather coupled with less physical activity this time of year both contribute.

• Sad
I was at the doc last week for my 6 monther and I was fussing about tendonitis in my right elbow. It had been bad for at least a month and I wasn't really asking for anything as the first 2 times it acted up (both incidents at least a decade ago) I just toughed it out. He gave me a scrip for something called diclofenac - just an NSAID anti-inflammatory but not available over the counter. Since I started that, everything has eased up pain wise. My back - which ALWAYS hurts, hasn't been much over a 2 on the ouch scale all week. Normally it's about a 4. He gave me 30 days worth, gonna take em through this weekend then start rationing them. My elbow felt almost normal after 2 pills.

How are you feeling with the change of weather?
I know that I'm not the only human barometer.
I love this time of year because of duck and goose hunting and crabbing, but damn does the change in the weather kick my ass.

I've been getting our 5th wheel trailer ready for our upcoming week of crabbing in Bodega Bay. Man it feels like I am being tortured on the rack.
I can't get comfortable, so most likely no sleep for me tonight.

The joys of back and neck pain.

I hope you spiny's are dealing with the weather changes better than I am, this ain't no fun at all.

Dan.
I am in the same boat as Chris. My back is fine but my knees don't like the changing temps and my hands ache after working in cold weather. Getting old is not easy....

Jason

• Sad
30 years ago, I had chronic back pain for years until chiropractor solved the issue by adjusting my ankle that tossed my alignment. That man was a miracle.
Arthritis in the hands and knees is my reminder that I enjoyed my younger days well and genetics caught up to me.
Daily supplements of fish oil and glucosamine condroitin have really helped.
Also eliminating aspartame from my diet made a huge gain in slowing the arthritis.

Oh good, I found the old guys complain about their issues thread. :emoji_laughing:

I have had chronic asthma since I was a kid. Every time a Dr changes my prescription for a cheaper one it is never as effective as what they replace.

10 years ago I had a spikey kidney stone that convinced me I was going to die within 24 hours. I was in so much pain I was in a fetal position on the floor until my wife got home and called 911. I had no idea on what was happening at the time. They used a sonic machine to break it up and I pissed shards of glass for a couple weeks. I do not wish that on anyone.

At 54 years I now have one of those pill boxes with 7 night and day boxes to make sure I don't forget to take any. A few years ago I suddenly had a blood pressure problem. Now I have to take daily pills to prevent it.

Now I have arthritis in both elbows. It is so fun each time I have to lift a trash bag out of the can and bring it outside. On bad days it makes my hands so shakey it is hard to use a fork to get food from my plate to my mouth.

It all sounds really bad but overall it is just part of getting old. I just slow down and have learned to just take it easy. Retirement helps a lot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky