I dropped the ball on the company rib cook.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BC Buck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
MO
Talking to boss on how I do my ribs and he asked if I would do 4 slabs for the shop. Told me to vacuum seal and he would sous vide for serving Wednesday. Over weekend seasoned using different rub on each slab of St Louis cut ribs. Smoked at 220 for 1.5 hours. Instead of wrapping in foil because pit was tight on space I put aluminum pan in pit with baking racks in bottom to keep meat out of rendered fat. Covered tight and raised cook temp to 350 deg for 1 hour.

Stupid adds>>>>>

Dropped temp back to 220 and put ribs back in smoker out of aluminum pan to set sauce. Was shocked that there was almost two cups of fat in bottom of pan. These ribs looked really nice and well trimmed with no excess fat from grocery store. Long story longer let rest and cut up looking like a perfect cook. Put in a vacuum bag and when sealed did see thin layer of grease flowing towards vacuum but held a seal. Today sous vide at 150 couple hours before lunch. When open bags had ribs covered in heavy grease and took away from texture and flavor of sauce and rub used. Think vacuum bags are not good to use on greasy meats.

I've reheated PP and brisket in my SV . Both came out like it just came out of the smoker .
Did the same with ribs , and both times had bad results .
Not sure if it was something I did or the ribs themselves , but they were good before the SV reheat .

I've reheated PP and brisket in my SV . Both came out like it just came out of the smoker .
Did the same with ribs , and both times had bad results .
Not sure if it was something I did or the ribs themselves , but they were good before the SV reheat .
Where your proteins in a vacuum sealed bag. I like to use zip lock bags but seems like about 50% of time let water in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky