I am tried of GAS!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SBilbrey

Original poster
Dec 23, 2019
I just got done eating my St. Louis pork ribs that I had to cook in the oven, because I couldn't keep my GOSM up to temp. I had it 225 then a little breeze picked up and I couldn't block it enough to keep my temp above 200.
25 here today.
I have smoked many times at lower temps, so I think that I may have either a regulator problem or a gas problem.
That being said I am tired of fighting with it and would like a simpler solution.
Been kicking around trying a pellet grill/smoker.
Been looking at the new Masterbuilt gravity series 800 also.
RecTec seems to be a good choice for a pellet fueled option.
Campchef pellet grill looks good also.

I plan to keep my charcoal egg for high heat options.
I will probably keep my broil king gas grill, but don't want to rely on it.

I want simple!
Does it really take 20 to 30 minutes to get a pellet grill up to grilling temperature?

What would you do?
Thanks for your input!
What works for you?
What is your top pellet grill pick? (ReTec 700)?
What do you think about the Masterbuilt gravity series?
Probably the 800

Scott

I have a Masterbuilt 560 and it will hold temps. If it is outside and the temparature is 20 degrees and 25 MPH wind gusts it will hold temp. And it will burn through a lot of charcoal. The temp control and flavor of the 560 makes it worth the while. I can throw wood chunks in the gravity hopper. Or, if I am too lazy for the wood chunks, I can get the flavor from charcoal without the wood. It takes a little while to get my 560 up to temp and sometimes has to be relit a couple of times. When it finally settles it's good to go for all night. Gas and electric are easier but the flavor is not there like the charcoal.

Reactions: SBilbrey
Not currently high on my list because of more important projects...But...Someday, I would like to have a Cookshack Fast Eddy PG500 on my Deck!...JJ

Reactions: whistlepig
I have a Pit Boss and it will reach tempature within ten minutes usually. Wind will affect them but I pull my in the garage a bit if I need to. Does it have the taste of a wood burner... No. Is it really simple and easy to smoke/grill with... Yes.

Sbilbrey: something's not right with your GOSM. It's great to get a new rig but do it after you fix this one or can knowledgeably say it's beyond economical repair.
What does your flame look like at max? Try switching out gas bottles--that can sometimes work wonders.

The MB gravity fed smokers, sure seem to be very popular right now. I haven’t heard any negative things about them yet either.
Al

Maybe put a skirt around the lower legs to block some of the cold wind from hitting the burner? Wrap the smoker with a insulating blanket of some sort? My cheapo Masterbuilt gasser is so easy to use during the cold winter months.

I have a Masterbuilt 560 and it will hold temps. If it is outside and the temparature is 20 degrees and 25 MPH wind gusts it will hold temp. And it will burn through a lot of charcoal. The temp control and flavor of the 560 makes it worth the while. I can throw wood chunks in the gravity hopper. Or, if I am too lazy for the wood chunks, I can get the flavor from charcoal without the wood. It takes a little while to get my 560 up to temp and sometimes has to be relit a couple of times. When it finally settles it's good to go for all night. Gas and electric are easier but the flavor is not there like the charcoal.
Agreed ! I've only had the MB 1050 a couple of weeks and limited cooks so far(4), I absolutely love it. I was torn between the MB and Rectec. Even stopped by their office in Evans, Ga
I believe I made the best decision....for me . The 800 sure looks handy with the griddle top. Hopefully they will offer one for the other models soon. Happy hunting!

Sbilbrey: something's not right with your GOSM. It's great to get a new rig but do it after you fix this one or can knowledgeably say it's beyond economical repair.
What does your flame look like at max? Try switching out gas bottles--that can sometimes work wonders.
Yes Sir.
I think my regulator is going bad.
I switched tanks twice.
Took the tank from my grill and tried it to no avail.
Even put an old hunt tent over it.
Nothing worked.
Then I noticed that my flame looked odd. Yellow not blue🤬🤦

It's gotta' be blue or you won't have enough heat. So are you just going to replace the regulator? (If you know someone with a pressure gauge that would allow an easy check of the regulator before you go that route.) Or are you considering looking for an assembly of a burner and hose (with regulator) replacement?

It's gotta' be blue or you won't have enough heat. So are you just going to replace the regulator? (If you know someone with a pressure gauge that would allow an easy check of the regulator before you go that route.) Or are you considering looking for an assembly of a burner and hose (with regulator) replacement?
It was the regulator!
250 tonight in no time.
I love my GOSM I just don't like it when things don't work correctly!
I didn't think that it was the regulator because the last time it went bad it shut off and wouldn't hardly put out a flame.
Kinda threw me off.
Thanks Sir!

Nicely trouble-shooted and nicely repaired SBilbrey!
Now go make some great food and tell us about it.

I've had a regulator go bad and it hardly fed any gas, so no heat! Replaced it and things immediately went back to normal. I live in central NYS and when I use my WSM, I keep it wrapped in a welding blanket in the winter. Well, actually, all year round, as it keeps temps stable no matter what the wind is like. The welding blanket is a cheap one from Harbor Freight - I think it is something like 4x6 or 6x8 ft. It was $30. Best mod ever for me, as I cook outdoors all year round. Something similar might help you even if you rule out the regulator.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky