I am ready for a puppy – what breed is best for me?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tomorrow I plan on looking at a 4 week old pup (4 weeks old tomorrow) that is no longer getting milk from its mother (got mastitis 3 days ago) and the pup needs to be given milk replacer. It is a Labrador that is crossed with a Blue Lacy; which I learned is a herding cattle dog and also known for finding wounded deer. Thinking its herding qualities may come in handy with the buffalo.

I have owned one cattle dog and several labs. I think a Lab/Lacy cross would make an excellent Farm dog. Our Cattle dog, Skip, was the smartest dog I have ever known. We sent it out twice a day to get the milk herd. All you had to say was bring em in Skip. Then pour a cup of coffee til you heard the Yip from the barn signaling that they were all there ready for milking. That Dog cost my Bro in law $5 at the SPCA and was the hardest working being on the Farm.

For a side kick companion in my opinion you can't beat a Lab.

Love my old mutt dog. He is healthy loyal and a great dog.
icon_lol.gif

"If I don't look will they go away?"

Mossy , my little experience has been that most females tend to stay closer than the males.
Also , one of the best investments we have made in our young dogs futures has been a puppy kindergarten class ( once a week for 6-8 weeks) As with anything , there are some great and some not so much . A little research is good before jumping into a class.
They work with you and the pup , teach you the basics and help socialize the little one. Also , they can pick up on stuff regarding your dogs individual personality to help you help the dog become a great family member.

Can't resist the chance to post picks of our little girl .

"I am ready for a puppy – what breed is best for me?"

Wellllll.....it all depends on how you plan to smoke it.....
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif

--------------------------------------

Aw come on, I thought someone would have said it by now!

(Ouch, I know, never joke about a man's religion, dog, truck or wife! - in that order)

PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Yesterday my wife and I welcomed a new member to our family. He was born 03-08-09 and is a 17 lb., male Golden Retriever named Ruger. Now we have the dreaded puppy training to go through (any kennel and house training tips are appreciated).

Thanks to each and everyone who posted, the posts helped us make a decision. We could not find any English Cockers available; looked at a few Golden Retrievers, 2 German Shorthairs, a Chocolate and a Yellow lab. Next week Ruger will be going in for a vet check. Below are a few pics of the new the pup !!!

Congrats Mossy!

I have a country vet (they are fantastic with my dogs), and I took a new pup in to see them. It was from the shelter, but I had a pretty good idea what breed it was. I asked the vet what breed he thought, and without missing a beat, he said:

"That sure looks like a skillet licker to me!"

To which I say to you, that is one fine skillet licker ya got there...You are in for a great ride!

BBQ Engineer
We have our country vetenarian here also (lives 2 1/2 miles away), in fact I was out in the back yard with the pup and he was driving by, turned around and drove in to visit. When he got out of his car I said was just coming ot see you next week and he exclaimed "Just saw you in the yard and thought I would visit, didn't know you got yourself a new dog". He sure is handy if you have a sick pet or buffalo, drops what he is doing and is right over !!!

Congrats on the new Dog. Nice looking pup. I like his name too.

I had a large dog that was a cross between a Great Dane and a Newfoundland. Folks always asked what breed He was. We always replied He's a cross between a Bull Moose and a Keg of nails.
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif

Cute puppy.

Invest in Evan Graham's SmarWork program and let that retriever do what it's bred to do. Just be careful, the retriever games can be about as addicting as this BBQ stuff.

Congratulations MO !!! Handsome dog you got there !!!!
You asked for advice , so here are a few things .
Ask your vet about a puppy kindergarten that may be close. Looks like he is about ready. Most are great and help you understand your dog better.
House breaking ; straight forward outside after meals , naps , indoor play times. Reward good behavior. Catch him in the act and whisk outside , he'll catch on. After the fact , no sense disciplining , just clean it up .
A crate , most dogs enjoy their own little place , never a punishment , just a safe quiet place of their own. Directly outside after a nap do do his business. Meal time in the crate and again outside after eating. Favorite quiet toy and blanket help make it "His Home " , he won't want to mess in it if it is small enough.
Chewing and Toys , buy a bunch , get a variety , some he will like , some not so much. Simple replacement of what is his when you catch him chewing on something that is not on the approved list . Some catch on quicker than others , but he will . Just remember though , that old pair of slippers smell and taste like Mrs MO's new shoes or your good pair of hunting boots
icon_lol.gif

Enjoy , grab an extra cup of patience , keep it fun for him .
Be a good actor , outside doing his business IS the greatest thing in the world , Mouthing / or teeth on you or your skin makes you cry in terrible pain and play time stops ( just for a min or two ) he will catch on.

Again , just some opinions given freely over the innertube . We have many more experienced dog folks here than I . Posted rather than PMed so any misconceptions on my part can be corrected by others.

Oh , one more thing , keep taking pics , they grow up fast
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

I can tell you from experiance (I train my hunting retrievers) and this applies to any dog.

1. Sit down with the family and decide what the rules are for the dog. in my family that means no human food whatsoever, and only trained people play fetch with the dog, and that obediance must be applied by all.

2. Only say commands once. If they do not obey, then gently make them do what you have asked. Only thing you will do by repeating commands is teach the dog it doesnt have to do it until you get pissed off.

3. Be consistant. once you establish the rules for the dog, dont change them. If you didnt create the right set of rules than YOU messed up. all behaviors good or bad come from your training, or lack of.

4. dominance drills. this has to be done 3 or 4 times a week throught the first 10 to 12 months (pending on the dog) several times a month for years thereafter. You take the dog gently roll them on their back and gently put your hand on their throat until they stop squirming. this is key to having a dog not challenge you as the alpha of the house. It makes for much better comapanions, and your basic obediance training will be easier. This also must be done by everyone in the household. The dogs must understand that the humans are the top of the pack.

5. basic obediance in the first year should be done 3 to 4 times a week for 10 minutes or less. come home from work. grab a drink. go outside and work on one given skill that you desire. if you have quick success, love the heck out of them and quit for the day.

Those are my top things for getting well behaved family house dogs. This is my girl. Always at my side, and has full run of the house and yard at all times.
hunts_0261.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky