Huy Fong Sriracha

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 16, 2007
After months of looking the search is over. I really like the sauce. I think we can ride out the shortage now. Have to take a couple bottles to work for a buddy though.
IMG_5610.jpeg
IMG_5611.jpeg

Nice, I need their chili garlic sauce and can't find any. Ordered 4 from Kroger and they cancelled the order a day later.

Nice restock.
I still have a couple bottles of the original before the SHtF panic.
I've heard the new product used with Mexican peppers has a different flavor than the original.
What's your thoughts?
I thought he went out of business?
Not out of business. Just stopped production without a source of the raw ingredient, jalapenos.
edit: deleted incorrect information see post #12 for correct info on Huy Fong and Underwood Ranch

Last edited:
Nice, I need their chili garlic sauce and can't find any. Ordered 4 from Kroger and they cancelled the order a day later.
The chili garlic is one of my favorites. I have substituted Trader Joe's Italian Bomba Sauce, it's fermented Calabrian Chilis. VERY addicting.

Reactions: jcam222
I found a couple bottles at my local Stater Brothers here in Southern California- It blew my mind. It’s special occasion for now until I find more, lol.

Nice restock.
I still have a couple bottles of the original before the SHtF panic.
I've heard the new product used with Mexican peppers has a different flavor than the original.
What's your thoughts?

Not out of business. Just stopped production without a source of the raw ingredient, jalapenos.
The grower(s) that traditionally supplied the chilies to Huy Fong decided to make and market their own sauce as https://www.skyvalleyfoods.com/ and stopped supplying Huy Fong.
The revived Huy Fong Sriracha supposedly uses Mexican sourced jalapenos.

Close but a little different. Underwood Ranch was the original grower of the jalapenos. The two companies had a great working relationship for 20 years. Then HF decided to source the peppers cheaper from Mexico and sued UR for a million dollars that they had pre-paid for the next harvest. UR sued back and won a 23 Million dollar settlement.

This forever changed the HF taste. This year there was a production problem with the Mexican supplier. This has caused a huge shortage of the famous sriracha sauce.

UR meanwhile started producing their own sauces. UR sriracha tastes like the original HF sriracha. They now produce a lot of different sauces.

underwood_ranch_sriracha_001.jpg

Last edited:
I snagged two bottles last week at HEB on Escarpment.
I took them to to the checkout and they said one per customer.
Handed the other to the wife and told her to go to another checkout line...
There is a slight change in taste, but it's still real.
Funny, I remember back almost 30 years ago, the only place I saw it was at a tiny Vietnamese resturant in North Austin run by an refugee Vietnamese lady and her batshit crazy Nam vet husband who sat drunk at a table all day while his dynamo of a wife did all the cooking and bussing, but the point is that is was WAY hotter back then than now.
If I put more than two tablespoons on my noodles it was too hot to eat.

Reactions: Retired Spook
The bottles I tasted taste good to me but it’s been months said I had any to compare with.

Reactions: smokin peachey
What was the difference? I know this is subjective. But I'm curious. Others are saying the same thing. Something about a bitter after taste.
It is a difference of where the jalapeños are grown. I noticed it right away. It was about a month later when I found about the change.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky