Hunan Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great and you NAILED the beef with the HOT wok. Yes, outside a must to do correctly. The smokiness is desired and an asian signature called wok hei. Keep the stir fry threads going!

If anyone is looking for a wok, I've had a $9 carbon steel flat bottom wok from a restaurant supply store for years. It's nothing fancy or pretty, but it's actually been better to use as a wok than any of the fancy ones I've tried. Balances nicely, won't tip. Great for deep frying too.

Doing my part to continue the Asian theme Robert started. First off let me say I should of done this outside! Hunan Beef my favorite Asian dish. Looked at flank steak at store and to $$$. Like Robert said I don't like thin steaks and had couple thin Ribeye's in freezer for over 2 years so figured pull one for this. Glad I did. I cut the Ribeye thin on a bias than marinaded in this for 6 hours.

View attachment 654874

Cut up some red onion, red bell, orange bell, jalapeno and mushrooms. First in was the meat. Man this Wok is hot!

View attachment 654879View attachment 654878

Next the cut up vegs

View attachment 654877

Had some frozen broccoli next. Still had some crunch than everything back in and put sauce and red pepper flakes. Used some Private Selection® Spicy Hunan Style Stir Fry Sauce. The ribeye was out of this world tender and flavor! Just can't believe how good it was. The whole dish was very good but that meat was the star. I have enough to do this again tomorrow. Stir Fry should be a weekly thing.

View attachment 654876View attachment 654875
Wow that looks amazing!!!

FYI, if you are not using any Sesame Oil (toasted) then grabbing a bottle and using that with your next batch will be a revelation for you!

As I was learning to cook different Asian dishes they tasted great but were clearly missing some flavoring that I couldn't replicate. Then learned about the toasted Sesame Oil and boom, that was the thing that makes most Asian food I eat tasted like Asian food.

Problem solved! :D

The other secret ingredient is oyster sauce. That and the toasted sesame oil account for most of the restaurant flavor most people struggle to replicate.
Although it's actually quite likely those pre blended sauces are already based on oyster sauce

Reactions: tallbm
Made the 2nd one last night and so good. I got it a bit on the spicy side. I really like the ribeye like this. I going to have to do with just meat. I think it is that marinade that made it so good.

Great looking meal Brian!
Thanks Steve
Brian , That looks fantastic . Strong work bud .
Thanks Rich
Looks great
Thanks Jim
Each post is one more beautiful than the other!
Thanks Billy
I'd give my chopsticks a nice workout on that dish, good job Brian, looks delish! RAY
Thanks Ray
Man Brian, that looks really, really good. A truly outstanding Asian themed meal if I've ever seen one. For the sake of keeping the trend going, this is what I made Sunday for dinner. Spicy sweet and sour meatballs. This was really good also...but I't trade with you in a second
Thanks Robert. Glad you got this ball rolling!
Great looking meal. Y'all gonna make me start looking at woks for the kettle if you keep this up!

Jim
Thanks. I would go for it Jim.
Looks real good to me!

We almost need an Asian food section now
Thanks
Looks great and you NAILED the beef with the HOT wok. Yes, outside a must to do correctly. The smokiness is desired and an asian signature called wok hei. Keep the stir fry threads going!
Thanks Sam
Man that looks good! I gotta get a wok
Thanks. I like the flat bottom ones but wish the handle on this was shorter so it would not tip. Really wanted to use with induction burner.
If anyone is looking for a wok, I've had a $9 carbon steel flat bottom wok from a restaurant supply store for years. It's nothing fancy or pretty, but it's actually been better to use as a wok than any of the fancy ones I've tried. Balances nicely, won't tip. Great for deep frying too.
That the problem with mine. The handle so heavy causes it to tilt so you have to hold it.
Wow that looks amazing!!!

FYI, if you are not using any Sesame Oil (toasted) then grabbing a bottle and using that with your next batch will be a revelation for you!

As I was learning to cook different Asian dishes they tasted great but were clearly missing some flavoring that I couldn't replicate. Then learned about the toasted Sesame Oil and boom, that was the thing that makes most Asian food I eat tasted like Asian food.

Problem solved! :D
Thanks Carlo. I a big fan of sesame oil. I use a lot but have to watch how much you use as it pretty potent stuff.
The other secret ingredient is oyster sauce. That and the toasted sesame oil account for most of the restaurant flavor most people struggle to replicate.
Although it's actually quite likely those pre blended sauces are already based on oyster sauce
I use oyster sauce a lot. Just got some mushroom oyster sauce to try.
Fantastic plate of food there Brian
Great Wok Work, :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_sunglasses:

David
Thanks David

Nicely done Brian. That dish looks great.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky