Huli Huli Chicken on the Bubba Keg Spinner

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by chef willie, Jul 22, 2014.

1. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Turn Turn or Flip Flip is the translation so I decided to Spin Spin. Great marinade, bird fit into a gallon Ziplock for the overnight soak and took about 90 minutes for succulent goodness. The breast was so moist I ate that first (unusual for me) with a wing, on which the skin was awesome. A touch of heat, some sweet and a slight char....was delish. 

3/4 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
    1/2 cup light honey
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    Tbl EVOO
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    Tbl  catsup
    Tbl  minced fresh ginger
    1 Tbl Chili Garlic Sauce
    Kosher Salt to taste
    Fresh ground Black Pepper
    1 Tbl sesame oil

disco and bearcarver like this.
  2. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Terrific post, Chef. I am particularly grateful as I have been meaning to try a Huli Huli chicken so you have saved me some research!

[​IMG]

Thanks for the recipe.

Disco

3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great looking twisted twisted bird! Love Huli Huli, and yours looks fantastic Willie!

4. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

Awesome!!! I love flip flip chicken...

5. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great lookin chic, will have to try it. 

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS 

6. yotzee

yotzee Smoking Fanatic

We love Huli Huli Chicken!! Been making it weekly for about 2 months after seeing it on Diners Drive Ins and Dives. I dont have a rotisserie so I do it over Kingsford Competition charcoal with a bird cut into pieces and I flip it about every min or so. Nice crispy skin before slathering with huli huli sauce

7. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

My oldest daughter's soccer team had a fundraiser about ten years ago and we cooked, if II remember correctly, 1200 huli huli chickens!

8. ....adding Huli Huli Chicken to my list

Looks great!

9. chef willie

Very tasty Disco...pretty sure you & SWMBO will enjoy
    Thx Case
    yeah....came out sweet
    Thx....you won't be disappointed
    Love the Kingsford Comp...bet it gets a good, tasty char being flipped over coals
    Holey Moley...lol...
    thx...good meal all around

10. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice Job on that Bird, Willie!!![​IMG][​IMG]

Love It !!---------[​IMG]

Bear

11. yotzee

yotzee Smoking Fanatic

It does get a nice and crispy char and I get to stand and drink beer as it cooks!

I brine it first with salt, sugar and Lawry's then I rub it with a mix if SPOG and paprika

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  12. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice looking Bird on a Spit there CW. [​IMG][​IMG]    I'll be trying this one too [​IMG].

13. chef willie

Thx guys....was tasty stuff & always a plus when the gal pal likes the method of cooking.....got a nice meal of chicken & dumplings outta the remains as well....Bonus!!

14. edward36

edward36 Meat Mopper

This one looks terrific!!!

I've been experimenting quite a lot with the idea of rotisserie - have it on my Genesis. Made it with a pineapple-garlic glaze, but have to try this one. Sounds wonderful!

Cheers!

Ed

15. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That sure is a pretty bird there Chef.... I really have to give this a try ! Nice smoke.... Thumbs Up

16. Looks good! Trying this soon!

17. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

Love the looks of that Huli Huli chicken Chef!  Another one of your mouthwatering masterpieces!!!

[​IMG]

18. chef willie

LOL....thanks, sometimes you luck out.....definitely a make again chicken

19. Wow!  That looks outstanding.   What temp did you cook at or did you cook over direct with the cover removed?

Thanks again for taking the time to post this

20. chef willie

Hmmm, didn't temp this one...the first time I did a whole bird the temps were running about 400 degrees coming out the top. That's a Bud keg with the top cut out and the rotisserie set up was easy enough to drill holes for and mount the hardware. So, the coals set in a Weber charcoal basket (actually sold as a set of 2) on 2 bricks I placed across the bottom. The first time I filled the baskets up full, so to much heat. This time I went halfway full so better, lower temps. It's amazing how hot that air is coming out the top.