Howdy!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hotnspicy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Staunton VA
I have been using Jeff's site for some help after I bought my first smoker 3 years ago.  Its been very helpful & now I think I am comfortable & consistent with it.  My friends are inviting themselves over when they hear I am firing it up & my neighbors ask if there is any room for me to smoke something for them.  There is always more to learn & I have been thinking about making or buying a new smoker.  As a contractor & with the economy I will probably be making one.  I will be posting & looking over the forums soon. 

In the mean time I cannot figure out how to turn off the email spam so I am just going to block it.

Hello and 
welcome1.gif
 to SMF - glad you finally joined in the fun

Please do us a favor and update your profile with your location

Spicey,
welcome1.gif
. With an introduction that contains self inviting Friends, your Que must be good. We'd like to see your equip. and shots of your goodies,afterall , this is a forum of self proclaimed "Drooler's". Donning our Bibs , we tune in and let the slobber drip off our chins...
th_HaHAAHaa.gif

Have fun and...

Welp as far as pictures go I guess I have spent too much time eating & not enough picture takin.  My camera went bad a couple years ago but I do have some pics lying around of some of my first ventures with smokin.  My equipment is bottom of the barrel.....no pun intended!  I had a Brinks barrel smoker & left it outside & the bottom rusted out so I replaced it with a $38 dollar Walmart special that was designed by retards.  I switched around a few things on it & drilled a hole here & there & can make do with it.  I have an offset smoker that was set out for the trash pickup.  I did some welding & this & that on it.  I can't get the lid to seal as good as I want with the metal being curved but I can still put out some decent stuff with it.  I wish business was good right now & I could afford a nice rig like I see most of you have.  Some of us just have to make do with what we have lyin around. 

I have a basic wire feed welder & have been thinking about making a smoker out of an old clothes dryer since I don't have much money at the moment.  I guess I am just looking around for whatever I can get to make something out of with the thickest steel possible or another way to insulate.  Obviously a dryer isn't to thick.  I have put a big cardboard box on my barrel smoker to retain heat when smoking ribs at the hunting cabin in December.  I dunno....I just try to make do. 

I make the vast majority of everything I eat from scratch all the way down to ketchup & mayo.  The meat & veggies I eat is what I hunt, grow or what I get from my local farmers.  I buy about 25% of my meat from the grocery store.  I like to cook.  My specialties are Italian, Korean, Thai, Hawaiian, Southern, German & hopefully BBQ. 

Here is my very first pork butt on a smoker 3 years ago.  I put on a rub overnight & next day coated with mustard & more rub after it sat at room temp for 2 hours.  Basics I am sure to all of you.  I made a chipotle bbq sauce which was used sparingly cause the rub had some good heat & flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky