Howdy From Long Island NY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Just picked up a Masterbuilt GS30 propane vertical smoker on CL.. I know, not top notch by any means but it was cheap and something to get my "feet wet" in smoking. First day I smoked a 5.5lb turkey breast with some hickory chips I had on hand. I soaked them in a water and bourbon mix and used a beer/water mix in the water tray. I knew the hickory would be too strong for Turkey but everyone liked it anyway.

Tomorrow I have some apple pellets coming and I am going to get some chunk wood to experiment with on ribs and really want to do brisket and plate short ribs.

Need to get a feel for whether chips, chunks, pellets or a combination are the way to go.

Thanks...TN is on my radar for a future retirement state! Would be a great place to go riding in my TJ Jeep wrangler.

Thanks...TN is on my radar for a future retirement state! Would be a great place to go riding in my TJ Jeep wrangler.

We retired two years ago from our Upstate NY farm (Cayuga County) to our North Carolina place (Stokes County). There's lots of welcoming folks in the Free Sates :emoji_blush:. And there's a heap more folks that "get" that BBQ is NOT hot dogs and burgers....

Hickory is fine to everything with a gas or electric smoker. Just use less if you want less smoke flavor. If I could only have one wood for every kind of food and for every kind of smoker it would be hickory.

Welcome to the site. The search feature is your friend and you'll find most of what you need to know there but it's a very welcoming community of helpful folks so if you have a question that needs and answer, ask away.

How far out is "retirement"?

Thanks all, I am using the search button, very familiar with various forums. My wife keeps laughing that I can find a forum for anything, Snowblowers, Triumph TR6, Corvette, TJ Wranglers, Tropical fish...man I have too many interests.

The wife and I are from Long Island but we both graduated from SUNY Oswego so we get the upstate thing.

Thanks all, I am using the search button, very familiar with various forums. My wife keeps laughing that I can find a forum for anything, Snowblowers, Triumph TR6, Corvette, TJ Wranglers, Tropical fish...man I have too many interests.

The wife and I are from Long Island but we both graduated from SUNY Oswego so we get the upstate thing.

You have a TR6? I've always dreamed of having that. Or a TR7.

SUNY Oswego ehh? Have you thawed out yet? We were about 30 miles south of you between Auburn and Skaneateles and were south of the Lake Ontario snow belt. Less than 100" most years and usually around 80" or so.

Our tractor mounted snow blowers went to friends locally and our 38" monster Simplicity walk behind went to lad from, if memory serves, Pulaski right by the Salmon River. Which strangely enough was where I bought the machine to begin with.

I drove a yellow TR6 a bit when I was a youngster stationed at Fort Lewis, WA in the late '70s. It leaked every time it rained (which was often in the Puget Sound area) but I will admit that it was chick magnet on weekends.....

Last edited:
Yes have a 74 Carmine red TR6, 05 TJ Wrangler and an 81 corvette for "toys",,,,I am a little big for the TR6 but have a lot of fun working on all of them.
copter tr6.jpg
vette.jpg
wrangler tj 3.JPG

Welcome to the site, happy to have ya join the fun. Soaking your wood chips is useless. The water has to evaporate before you get any smoke flavor from the wood.

Chris

I am a little big for the TR6 but have a lot of fun working on all of them.

Back in '76 I was 19 years old, 6'3" maybe 195 pounds. Fast forward to now and I'm 6' 4" and 240. I might need a good coat of axle grease and a really big shoehorn to get into a TR6 now....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky