Howdy from Iowa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cam

Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
Earth day in Des Moines is celebrated by putting anything not garage saleable onto the curb. Yesterday, picked up a Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse (#20070211). I've had previous curbside smokers including the red Brinkman electric and a basic charcoal box both of which I used infrequently for a couple of years before re-donating back to the curb. Just cleaned the MES up and dug through the freezer and pulled some chicken thighs and polish sausage to give it a whirl. Everything seems to work AOK so hopefully try a turkey next week as we're having company. I'll peruse the forum to look for hints as I've never attempted anything so big (12.5 lbs). Happy to hear any essential tips.

... just did a quick search and looks like I might need to spatchcock the turkey. I was wondering why the picture of my smoker looked unhappy with my initial idea :)

smoker.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome from Kentucky, and definitely do spatchcock turkey. You get better smoke penetration and the white and dark meat will cook more evenly. If I'm cooking whole turkeys, or chickens, I always spatchcock.

Thanks. I've only spatchcocked once before, but I do remember that cutting out the backbone and splitting/cracking the breast bone as being oddly satisfying. I'd imagine that's the primitive side of brain encouraging my desire to smoke meat.

Welcome from Virginia! I’m an Iowa native though and my sister lives in Des Moines. Great place and meats!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky