How to tell??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

We have some similarities here regarding why we purchased the 30" models. Like you, For me, it's more of an intellectual exercise in finding out how the model numbers work. Finding out MB assigns special model numbers to retailer-customized product lines was interesting. But back to the size of my MES: it's otherwise large enough to cook just about anything else I put in there. I will choose a brisket flat with the size of the smoker in mind.

I thought it was sacrilegious to cut racks of ribs in two, against the BBQer's code or something,  Do the cut ends dry out more than the entire slab would otherwise? Probably not; I've cut long skirt steaks in half to fit and they cooked up just fine. I suppose then the ribs would cook up like they normally wood. But as I said, after the racks have cooked awhile they shrink away from the walls.
Rick,   cutting the racks in half does not alter the cooking time or the end result. I just make sure the cut ends get rub. As for it being sacrilegious to to  cut them I hope I don't wind up in BBQ HELL. Spending a eternity being subjected to bad BBQ would be hard.

Last edited:

Rick,   cutting the racks in half does not alter the cooking time or the end result. I just make sure the cut ends get rub. As for it being sacrilegious to to  cut them I hope I don't wind up in BBQ HELL. Spending a eternity being subjected to bad BBQ would be hard.
I wonder where they get that "Bad BBQ"------They won't find any on SMF!!
thumb1.gif

Bear

jted, I agree about BBQ HELL. I'm going to gut those racks next time. My MES has four cooking racks so why not use them?

And I just gotta brag about those last ribs I smoked. My favorite brother-in-law raved about them, calling them the best ribs he's ever eaten and anointing me the Rib King. THAT'S why he's my favorite brother-in-law...

jted, I agree about BBQ HELL. I'm going to gut those racks next time. My MES has four cooking racks so why not use them?

And I just gotta brag about those last ribs I smoked. My favorite brother-in-law raved about them, calling them the best ribs he's ever eaten and anointing me the Rib King. THAT'S why he's my favorite brother-in-law...
Rick, just remember to follow the rack heating rule ( put the thickest on the right side) and remember that the bottom rack is the hottest.

Also as a last note BBQ beans go on the last rack as a drip pan.

If I had a brother in law that liked my ribs he would also be my favorite.    jted

Last edited:

Rick, just remember to follow the rack heating rule ( put the thickest on the right side) and remember that the bottom rack is the hottest.

If I had a brother in law that liked my ribs he would also be my favorite.    jted
I really appreciate this reminder, jted. I recalled that one of the sides of the MES was hotter but couldn't remember which one. This reminder will help me properly orient meats that are thicker on one side. Since I don't have that much to smoke at one time, I typically take out the top rack and use only the middle two, figuring the top rack will get the least amount of heat and also figuring, like you said, the bottom rack will get the most. For the two baby backs I cooked, the smaller of the two went on the 2nd rack and the larger one on the 3rd. For cooking a beef brisket I lay it on the 2nd rack.

FAST FOOD BBQ

Also as a last note BBQ beans go on the last rack as a drip pan.

I wonder where they get that "Bad BBQ"------They won't find any on SMF!!
thumb1.gif

Bear
icon_twisted.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky