How to minimize bark on a boston butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigdaddybama

Original poster
Jan 29, 2011
My wife does not like the bark on the butts I smoke. I have been using my offset but I plan on trying my “new to me” Masterbuilt Electric smoker this weekend.

Is there anything I can do to minimize the bark. I love the bark but my wife thinks it is bunt meet and that it is bad for me. (She is trying to take care of me)
icon_lol.gif

I usually use a “McCormick Grill Mate Barbecue Seasoning” rub and then I spray it with a mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar during the smoke. I smoke at 225 until I reach 195 internal.

Any pointers would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Cut all bark off and save for you and your buddys.  Give her the crap in the middle.  Lol.  Bark is king here.

When it hits 165,foil it and add some apple juice.

Then on to your fav temp.

Craig

is it the flavor or the color she dosent like, could be the rub or other thing making it bad

Yep foil is a great way to stop the bark monster!!! In a electric smoker you will not get the same bark that you get from charcoal smokers anyway. so she might like that better.

I would cut it into two pieces and smoke one for her and one for you.  Like the others said, foil hers at 165 and add some liquid. That way you both get what you want   

Love the bark

I would keep it foiled and others said, and keep the bark separate.

Todd

PP is not PP without the bark, but foiling it will soften it up, and you won't get as much with the MES.. You can always do like Wayside said just cut it off.

Foil it at 165 and take it to 205 and see what she thinks if it. There will be some bark but it won't be so hard and thick as it is when you don't foil it. I bet she will like it that way. But like the others asked what part of it doesn't she like? Taste, texture, flavor of the rub on the outside?

Thanks for all of the help. I will try the foil this weekend. My wife loves the pulled pork, but she thinks the bark is burnt meat which has been reported to cause cancer.

Again thanks,

Mark

Sounds like pure speculation to me. I don't think there has been any hard data to link cancer risk with smoked meats or burnt meat for that matter. Like others said smoke till 165 and wrap in foil with a bit of apple cider vinegar or liquid of your choice. The bark wont be quite as thick and noticeable then. If that doesn't shut her up then go with the MES, which will have allot less bark than a charcoal smoked PP.

I'm sure others have said some of the same things.  But here's my advice to reduce the amount of bark...

1) Reduce the amount of sugar in your rub.  Sugar burns and burnt sugar = crunchy bark

2) Cook at a low temp (200-225) at that temp it'll be tough to develop a bark at a low temp

3) Foil at 165 and take to a final temp of 200-205.  That'll make the meat tender enough to pull and soften any exterior "bark" you may have created.

There are two other options...follow with extreme care

4) Make it in a crock pot with BBQ sauce and liquid smoke

5) Either find a new wife or tell her you'll be fine with a little bark every once in a while.

Just my $0.02.  Good luck

FYI  4&5 are not recommended.  That'll be worse for your health than whatever a little bark every once in a while will do to you.

Dude you are brutal.   
icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm sure others have said some of the same things.  But here's my advice to reduce the amount of bark...

1) Reduce the amount of sugar in your rub.  Sugar burns and burnt sugar = crunchy bark

2) Cook at a low temp (200-225) at that temp it'll be tough to develop a bark at a low temp

3) Foil at 165 and take to a final temp of 200-205.  That'll make the meat tender enough to pull and soften any exterior "bark" you may have created.

There are two other options...follow with extreme care

4) Make it in a crock pot with BBQ sauce and liquid smoke

5) Either find a new wife or tell her you'll be fine with a little bark every once in a while.

Just my $0.02.  Good luck

FYI  4&5 are not recommended.  That'll be worse for your health than whatever a little bark every once in a while will do to you.

Last edited:
take the sugar out of the rub.

also, keep it away from the firebox.

Spray it often, wrap it early, and finish in the oven.  That is my 2 cents.

Thanks for all the help. Ya'll are great. I started the Masterbuilt electric at 3:00am and loaded the butt at 5:00am. I am going to foil at about 155 - 160. I will post an update when it is done.

Thanks,
Mark

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

The butts turned out OK. Very little bark (like my wife wanted) but a little dry. I did not take it off until 205 degrees which is a little more than usual. I also smoke some Mac and cheese and it was less than OK. Here are some pics.

a003aa21_024.jpg

3d811b0d_023.jpg

Again, thanks for all of the advice. I guess this is just part of the learning phase.

Mark

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky