How to make this controller work on sportsman elite???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GReeZyTrix

Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
Bought it on Amazon thought I could figure it out. I cannot I don't want to fry the smoker if fry my self that's fine....if I survive my frying I'd be upset so trying to avoid at all costs....I could only be so lucky but yeah I provided pictures and the model smoker I have
Screenshot_20210313-001320.png

That looks like a PID controller for a pellet grill, not an electric smoker. That's set up to control temps by running an auger, not starting and stopping a heating element.

Reactions: GReeZyTrix
So I got the wrong one go me! , what can I get for this thing? The original controller is useless and if I get another original I feel like I'll be in the same boat down the road.

That looks like a PID controller for a pellet grill, not an electric smoker. That's set up to control temps by running an auger, not starting and stopping a heating element.
Thank you for letting me know if you have any suggestions I'm all ears... Pretty new to the electrical side of life

Thank you for letting me know if you have any suggestions I'm all ears... Pretty new to the electrical side of life
Auber PID controllers seems to be the default on this forum. There's a couple large threads that are step by step on these forums. Do some searching on here before you commit, it's not just plug-in-play, you'll need to make electrical connections.
But yes, you've got a controller for a pellet grill, hopefully you can return it.

Hi there and welcome!
The guys have you on the correct path. The controller you bought is made for a pellet grill you want a different kind so return that one or sell it to recoup the cost.

Here is the Auber PID controller that should do the trick, pick the multi-purpose sensor:

There are 2 types of Sportsman Elites:

1. Analog, has that plug on the lower left and temp controller is simply a dial you set the temp with.
db-0b4c6bf49e3b_1.c5e66a173a3c08e9c17377fea5b439e2.jpg

2. Digital Electric Smoker (has a digital electrical control panel on top with electronic buttons), with or without elevated legs
41U6v2jktXL.jpg
or
75db70f0da02125a4272cb250ade500d.jpg

With the 1. Analogue Sportsman Elite thing are simple using that Auber PID I linked. You just turn the smoker dial to max on the plug and insert the plug into the Auber PID. The Auber PID goes into the wall and temp sensor into the smoker. You punch the set temp into the Auber PID and it will cut power on/off to hit and hold your set temp.

With 2. the Digital Electric Sportsman Elite you will have to do a very simple rewire. You will end up cutting the ends off 4 wires and then splice/wire-nut them together to make 2 wires. This makes the plug feed power directly to the heating element with no control.
Now you insert the plug into the Auber PID. Auber PID pluged into wall and sensor put in smoker. Punch in set temp to Auber PID and it will cut power on/off to hit and hold your set temp.

The Auber PID runs $150 before shipping BUT will hold within 1-3 degrees on the digital smoker for sure. It will make your smoker perform better than anything these manufacturers make brand new!!!!
All of us PID guys were unsure about moving to a PID controller but then after it was setup and dialed in we all ask "Why did I wait so long!?!?!?" and we never look back hahaha.

I hope this info helps :)

I watched one on youtube guy built it which intrigued me cause I literally have to mod everything I own for some reason i.e. computers cars motorcycles and now apperantly smokers but all of you thank you!!!

I watched one on youtube guy built it which intrigued me cause I literally have to mod everything I own for some reason i.e. computers cars motorcycles and now apperantly smokers but all of you thank you!!!
Also I'm new to forums so not sure if there's a way or wrong way of doing things

If you have all the tools, extra components, and the knowledge you can build them.
If not you will spend way more money than buying the Auber PID.
Also when building one getting an enclosure/box where everything fits and avoiding crappy Chinese components that fail on you can be super frustrating hahaha.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky