How to make the trukey more presentable

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

retriver2000

Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
I have been smoking turkey for severial years now and now selling a few.  When finished they are always soot black (look horrible) but  when you pull the skin off they taste great and are very jucy.  How can I make them look better when they come off the smoker  I want them to have more visual appeal to someone buying the smoked turkey.  Is there a way to keep them golden brown?

retriver2000, you didn't mention what type of smoker you are using. But if your bird is coming out soot black, I'm thinking that you using too much wood and/or you're not getting complete combustion of the wood you are using.

Knowing your smoker type will help in pinpointing the issue you are having.

Using a offset smoker I built.  I guess the word soot was a poor word to use.  It is not coated with anything, it just looks burnt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky