How to get the best smoke out of a gas smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hanifen

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
Minneapolis
For many years I have smoked on charcoal and loved it but recently built a refridgerator smoker and did it as gas just to keep me from having to run out there and throw charcoal on all the time. Well since I am new to gas smoking I am wondering how to get the best smoke? I currently have a gas burner on the bottom and a cast iron skillet on top of it. I soak the wood chips and put them in the skillet. My smoke was off and on and did not seem to be constant like I am used to with the charcoal smoker. What am i doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

I swear I feel like I am starting from scratch again in the smoke department.

with that big of a smoker, you could use chunks or small sticks...just put an big old juice can on its side and you will get no flare ups and probably a more consistent smoke

can350.jpg

That's what I use on both my conversions ... if need be, you can cover the open end with foil with a few holes poked through it, to keep it smothered and consequently .... smoking! No need to soak with this method and your valuable hard wood lasts longer.

Ok so let me make sure I understand you two.

You take a old can and lay it on its side on the burner. Fill it will some chunks of wood and cover the end with tin foil with some holes in it. That will get it smoking good? And you say I do not have to soak the wood.

Will this produce enough smoke to fill the chamber? The inside chamber is probably 36inches X 28 inches X 28 if I had to guess off the top of my head.

You change fuel and it really throws you out of whack.

Hanifen

I'm prety new to propane but durring my first smoke this weekend I quickly noticed that I could get much bigger chunks of wood in there and they last forever! I used chunks bigger than my fist and several 2x2 sticks and they worked great. Got a great smoke ring too!
icon_mrgreen.gif

05e976e5_vbattach12321.jpg

yup basically thats it.... i think one can will be just fine but if need be either add another can or try a bigger can like a coffee can... you only have 3 feet height approx.. one can should be plenty

Another option is to throw one or two charcoal briketts along with a couple of wood chunks into a chimney starter, get it going and then just dump it into the excisting smoke box. I find in the warmer weather when your gas flame doesn't need to be that high to achieve proper smoker temps the wood has a harder time catching and staying lit. This way you get a good base of wood coals to add to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky