How to cook pork skins (Rinds) using steam kettles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lindsay herring

Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I have a few steam jacketed kettles and use them to cook souse and pork chitterlings. My kettles hold about 600 lbs of product each. I am exploring the idea of cooking pork skins like pork rinds. I am not familiar with the procedure but I believe I am set up where I can do that. I am a USDA inspected plant so getting the skins and cooking the skins is a non issue. I just dont know how! I have heard something about cooking the skins in the kettles to produce the lard in which it is popped in, but again, I have no clue as I have not done this before.

Are there any videos explaining the process? Does anyone have any advice?

I went thru a local mexican grocery/butcher shop awhile back...   They had 2 huge cast iron kettles full of lard, with a propane burner under them....  I think they cooked quite a few thing in them, including chichirones.... rendered the lard and sold it... don't know for sure... no english was spoken....   Dave 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky