How to add Phosphate to my brine/prep process? Pork butts brine...and phosphate injecting? Asking how to, not ya or nah!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shawnthomas

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 20, 2016
Southwest Iowa USA
Normally I brine my pork butts for about a week in a salt and and brown sugar brine. I have recently had great luck injecting some lower quality cuts of beef with CosmoQ injections night b4, smoking to desired doneness and then sous vide for hours more to get tenderness, been real happy with that. (I still plan to smoke my butts low and slow in gravity fed with 100% wood chunks.) My questions are about injecting phosphate into pork. I would like to try it but wanted to ask some questions first. I have been told that it needs to be injected not just part of the brine??? Also would I inject it and then brine in same brine as b4 or would I need to cut salt back? Or do I brine and then inject phosphate right b4 smoking? Is there a time max/min before or after injection of Phosphate b4 smoking? I like to try different things...after all it is about personal taste and preference and we all have our own opinions.

Not much is mentioned about brining with STPP but I have done it and it works. That said, I have not done a butt so not sure how much penetration. I don't cut back on salt but I believe others do. I inject night before and works great.

Figure the flavor profile you want and make it into an injection . Hold overnight then smoke the next day .
I use the calculator for the hams to do this , just leave out the cure .
The smart guys would do the math , but I'm math challenged unless it's on a tape measure .
The down load is on here somewhere . I can never get it to send .

In this thread I explain the process of making an injection cure... Be sure to cool the brine before adding cure#1....

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky