How Much Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cam

Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
1st time smoking ribs. I'm going to use the 321 method with pork spareribs in a MES 40 at 225. I'm using oak out of my firewood pile and am wondering how much smoke I should add. In other words, what percentage of the time should there be smoke flowing through the smoker?

I cooked with wood from start to finish when I had my offset. No wrapping either. You do have to manage your fire carefully.

I have a mes 30 use hickory smoke the whole time no wrapping, but everyone has different taste for the amount of smoke they like, but no need to add smoke when they are wrapped. So I would just use smoke the first 3 hours.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I'd apply smoke before and after the wrap. No point in applying any while wrapped though.

The 321 method I believe came about thru the competition smoking circuit. Many have adopted it and swear by it, others prefer to go straight without wrapping. I fall into the no-wrap group, haven't wrapped a rack for years. Regardless, smoke the whole time is fine as long as its TBS and not billowing white. IMO you can over smoke ribs to the point where the flavor of the meat gets lost. 225º does work, although I've migrated over the years to 245-250º. Same results, just less time.

Isn't there a temp limit for smoke penetration?
Ive abandoned the 321 method......its doesnt take 6 hrs to get pork ribs cooked properly.
I'd say get as much smoke as you can in the first hour and a half....after that just cruise until its done. But not Pulled pork on a bone. Plus smoke isnt going to penetrate the foil after youve wrapped.
Batman is the Pork
Robin is the Smoke

Ive abandoned the 321 method......its doesnt take 6 hrs to get pork ribs cooked properly.
I'd say get as much smoke as you can in the first hour and a half....after that just cruise until its done. But not Pulled pork on a bone. Plus smoke isnt going to penetrate the foil after youve wrapped.
Batman is the Pork
Robin is the Smoke
Meat will continue to take on smoke for as long as smoke is applied

I never wrap when I use my MBE 40" add smoke for as long as you can lol

Smoke penetration YES, taking on smoke NO. I'm not a smokeologist but the smoke ring stops around the 160* mark. That's gonna be your deepest penetration. However the outer-layer will continue to develop a stronger smoke profile. Moister also helps bind the smoke to the meat. That's why people spritz.

Chris

Smoke penetration YES, taking on smoke NO. I'm not a smokeologist but the smoke ring stops around the 160* mark. That's gonna be your deepest penetration. However the outer-layer will continue to develop a stronger smoke profile. Moister also helps bind the smoke to the meat. That's why people spritz.

Chris
The smoke ring isn't an indication of smoke penetration. Only a chemical reaction

Reactions: 1MoreFord and DougE
The smoke ring isn't an indication of smoke penetration. Only a chemical reaction
Agree to disagree Jake.

Four things are needed to produce a smoke ring. Myoglobin, nitric oxide, Oxygen, and carbon monoxide. The NO and CO are produced during the combustion process. The myoglobin is a protein in the meat that stores oxygen. This protein acts as a transfer portal into the meat for the NO and Co to penetrate the meat cells. Those gases can only penetrate to the extent of the myoglobin concentration. So that's why I say penetration YES. Proteins like beef have a higher concentration of myoglobin then poultry. That's why you don't see a grand smoke ring in chickens and turkey's. As for smoke flavor most of that is on the outside of the protein, and many factors can determine how strong or weak the smoke flavor is.

Chris

BTW the red juice you see on the plate under/around a raw steak. That's actually myoglobin juice.

Agree to disagree Jake.

Four things are needed to produce a smoke ring. Myoglobin, nitric oxide, Oxygen, and carbon monoxide. The NO and CO are produced during the combustion process. The myoglobin is a protein in the meat that stores oxygen. This protein acts as a transfer portal into the meat for the NO and Co to penetrate the meat cells. Those gases can only penetrate to the extent of the myoglobin concentration. So that's why I say penetration YES. Proteins like beef have a higher concentration of myoglobin then poultry. That's why you don't see a grand smoke ring in chickens and turkey's. As for smoke flavor most of that is on the outside of the protein, and many factors can determine how strong or weak the smoke flavor is.

Chris

BTW the red juice you see on the plate under/around a raw steak. That's actually myoglobin juice.
Yes I understand and agree with most of that. I was simply stating the smoke ring has nothing to do with how deep into the meat the smoke has traveled. Only a chemical reaction as you stated. If a piece of meat doesn't have a smoke ring it can still have a deep smokey flavor as you pointed out with a cut like chicken. Many people who use an mes never achieve a smoke ring on their beef or any other protein but that doesn't mean they didn't get deep smoke penetration.

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky