How much of a difference does 250* vs. 300* make for poultry?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ack226

Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I'm trying to choose between two different electric smokers.  One will adjust up to a top temp of 300* while the other will only adjust up to a max of 250*.  I plan to cook a lot of chicken and some turkey on this thing.  How important is the capability to get up to 300 instead of 250?  Will I notice a difference?  If I go with the 250* model will I end up wishing I had the 300* model?

Chicken really doesn't benefit from "low and slow" but the ability to reach the higher temps will help crisp up the skin which doesn't happen at the lower temps.

Your mileage may vary.

300 may even be a bit too low for crisping skin before drying out the meat, I would want it minimum 350.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky