How many wood chunks do I need?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

medicine man

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
South Fla
I've smoked a couple pork butts that have come out pretty good. I am using an electric smoker and use wood chunks. The chunks seem to last about an hour, therefore, I have been adding 3 chunks per hour, roughly, throughout the entire smoking process. Does this sound like a lot? I read somewhere to start out with three, and not to add any more.

it all depends on how much smoke flavor you like. if you are interested in cutting down on the usage of chunks 1 per hour should be plenty

Thx! Generally, in about an hour the smoke dies down to almost nothing, so I have been adding at that time.

add another chunk at about the 40-45 min mark, or right before you think the other one will quit smoking so you have a good constant smoke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky