How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I got mine at Bass Pro. I've got a 30" unit with a 1500 watt element. It has enough insulation and with that wattage I've been able to smoke anything I've put in so far. December in Calgary is not the time of year you want to spend hovering over a smoker so being able to set the temp is a big plus.

I got mine at Bass Pro. I've got a 30" unit with a 1500 watt element. It has enough insulation and with that wattage I've been able to smoke anything I've put in so far. December in Calgary is not the time of year you want to spend hovering over a smoker so being able to set the temp is a big plus.
You sure it has a 1500 watt element?  Should be 800.  Looking at the tag on the back to confirm.

I have the 30" and have thorougly enjoyed it. It was on sale at Orscheln's and I need to add a smoker to my assortment. Cabelo's had the add on cold smoker attachment on sale, and I added that to it. So far, it has been great. I have not done any true cold smoking yet but it the attachment makes for a lot of run time before adding chips again. I will be smoking some Andouille after the first of the year and see how the Cold Smoke add on works.  Electric beats feeding wood in when the snow has covered the ground.

Rod

I'm using the analogue model (20070610). It doesn't specify wattage in the manual, but I do see it on the tag on the back of the smoker. When I originally looked for an electric smoker, I googled it and several retailers listed it at 1500 watts for that model (and other series in that model as well).
I assumed all the MES digital models would have been the same wattage as well, until I looked at upgrading to one of them and saw the specs. Now I'm not so sure if I would be able to smoke up here in the winter time. Less wattage but the insulation looks thicker. Any advice/comments out there?

I got my 30" MES several weeks ago from Amazon. For $177 and free, 2-day shipping, it seemed a bargain. I have been smoking for years, most of it on a large grill with indirect heat. Five years ago I purchased a Brinkman Electric and did lots of smoking with it ... nothing fancy as it is a one-temperature smoker. I did learn a lot though and have now moved on to my MES, 30" with no glass door and top, back control panel. I have used it several times and the results were much to my liking ...  ribs and later, some beef burgers.  My cold smoking kit arrives tomorrow (probably not as we are supposed to get a foot of snow and we live in the woods of Maine) and I have already purchased 3" dryer vent hose and attachments. I am looking forward to smoking salmon, more ribs, a pork butt, and a pork belly for bacon. I already have created some good recipe for a variety of BBQ sauces and rubs. Also, I have been making sausage for several decades and am looking forward to smoking those, as well.

Hello reidwall, I also have a 30" from QVC. I smoked a 9 lb pork butt for 17 hours this week and it was the best pork I've ever made, Pulled it when the built-in thermometer read 203 deg. I was very happy with the temp control on these new models. My Gen 1 had 15+ deg temp swings and this one cycles within 2-3 deg after warmup. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine Tim

I got my 30" MES several weeks ago from Amazon. For $177 and free, 2-day shipping, it seemed a bargain. I have been smoking for years, most of it on a large grill with indirect heat. Five years ago I purchased a Brinkman Electric and did lots of smoking with it ... nothing fancy as it is a one-temperature smoker. I did learn a lot though and have now moved on to my MES, 30" with no glass door and top, back control panel. I have used it several times and the results were much to my liking ...  ribs and later, some beef burgers.  My cold smoking kit arrives tomorrow (probably not as we are supposed to get a foot of snow and we live in the woods of Maine) and I have already purchased 3" dryer vent hose and attachments. I am looking forward to smoking salmon, more ribs, a pork butt, and a pork belly for bacon. I already have created some good recipe for a variety of BBQ sauces and rubs. Also, I have been making sausage for several decades and am looking forward to smoking those, as well.
 Hello BigOtter I bought the cold smoking kit and am using 3" flex hose and a 90 deg. elbow. The hose fit over the cold smoker outlet fairly easily and I put a hose clamp there. I put the elbow on the other end of the hose with a clamp. The elbow pressure fit in the MES darn near perfect. I have the elbow facing down so any liquid will run out of the MES. You may also want to check out Raf's mod on the forums here about controlling the cold smoker temperature. Real cheap and works awesome. My first use of the cold smoker it produced huge amounts of smoke. I went to a big box store and bought the extension cord and dimmer for less than $15, and made it up per Raf's instructions. On my 2nd smoke I plugged the cold smoker into the device and turned the dimmer down about halfway and got nice TBS. Good luck, Tim

Last edited:
You bet no complaints here. I've done several pork butts and thick pork steaks as well as turkey breasts and they have all been really good.love the remote and the way the smoke chip tube works. 

I just bought a new 40 with window and bluetooth. Have only smoked a big chicken for Christmas but so far I like it. I found that the guys on here are a big help. I also bought the AMNPS which I used and kept burning after I left it in the MES during warm up.

I'd love to do a brisket but not many for sale at a reasonable cost around here.

I just bought a new 40 with window and bluetooth. Have only smoked a big chicken for Christmas but so far I like it. I found that the guys on here are a big help. I also bought the AMNPS which I used and kept burning after I left it in the MES during warm up.

I'd love to do a brisket but not many for sale at a reasonable cost around here.
What do they cost where you are? A flat costs about $8/lb. in the store here. If I want to smoke something in particular I just pay whatever the cost is. Smoking a brisket is always a challenge but I tell you, you've got to try it in your new smoker. I've got a MES 30 Gen 1 and I use an AMNPS. For brisket I like to use oak wood pellets; oak just seems to be the best match for my tastes and my wife's. Also, you've got to smoke ribs in there--baby backs, spareribs or the St. Louis cut. Once you know what you're doing you'll never need to go out to a chain BBQ restaurant because what you'll be cooking at home will be better. I may never get to go to Franklin's or Arthur Bryant's or Kansas City Joe's but the Q coming out of my smoker is more than enough to keep me and my family happy.

I bought my 30" from Lowe's. I have since added the MES cold smoker unit. I am still getting a feel for the 30" unit, but really like the automatic temperature control.  

My MES was a gift from my wife. She got it from QVC. I love it and I'm smoking 20 lbs. of jerky right now. (Our sons favorite) Doing a whole turkey and 2 whole turkey breasts on Saturday. All this while camping. Much easier than bringing the big wood smoker. Actually I haven't used the beast since Father's day when she got me the MES. Been smoking something or other almost every weekend since too.

Thanks for all the info, Tim. I am using the same set-up as you for the dryer vent, with a right angle. I am wondering why so many people on this site use a 3 x 4 adaptor as nothing measures 4 inches. I will look into the temperature control as soon as I see if I am getting too much smoke. We got a real blast of winter here in Maine today and with nearly a foot on the ground, the snow is still coming down. I have smoked and grilled in worse weather, though. Thanks again, for the info.  Rick (BigOtter)

Your welcome Rick. I'm setting up to do a brisket right now. Found it at GFS ( Gordon Food Service), 11 pound packer for $29. Was going to do it later this week but our temps are gonna drop here. Going to use oak and hickory. I've found it very important to keep the chip tube clean on the cold smoker so the chips drop freely. Also had no problem with smoke leakage once it was up to operating temp, not even out of the cold smoker. I keep the vent full open. I saw the post about the 3x4 adaptor so I bought one with everything else and ended up using it as a chimney for the vent.  Tim

Last edited:
I brought a 30" for Christmas. It has wiring problems but a recent communication with customer service and they are sending a replacement.

I think after I start using it I will like. Grew up smoking with my father 50 years ago.

Your welcome Rick. I'm setting up to do a brisket right now. Found it at GFS ( Gordon Food Service), 11 pound packer for $29. Was going to do it later this week but our temps are gonna drop here. Going to use oak and hickory. I've found it very important to keep the chip tube clean on the cold smoker so the chips drop freely. Also had no problem with smoke leakage once it was up to operating temp, not even out of the cold smoker. I keep the vent full open. I saw the post about the 3x4 adaptor so I bought one with everything else and ended up using it as a chimney for the vent.  Tim
11 pounds for $29 is a good buy compared to what they sell for here in OKC. That 11 pounder would cost you around $45 - $50 here.

My son got me one last year for Christmas(30") from QVC.So far I've done salmon,ribs(Best I've Ever had, and I've had Many)  and a 4lb pork loin with Great Success.
drool.gif
A shoulder next then Venison Baloney next!

Though I do miss my CharBroil steel offset one(same as the Oklahoma Joe)this MES is an Excellent smoker.It doesn't get any better than this one, especially for Reliablity and aTime Saver.Only draw back is the digital thermometor is usually12- 15 deg off (cooler)so I've added a quality regular thermometor and go by it.Getting ready to order the add-on cold smoker from Amazon.

There is a fun aspect about staying up all night, sipping an adult beverage or seven and tending the coals. I still do that occasionally. But for predictability and ease of use, the MES is awesome. Often I will do a hybrid of both. Start it on the charcoal smoker and then shift it to the MES and go to bed.

My little Sportsman Elite is the perfect size for my wife and I. Once the kids moved off to college I decided to downsize. Never looked back. Easy to use and darn near fool proof. I got mine at Gander Mountain in Lubbock, TX. On sale as a matter of fact.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky