How long?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jkc64

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 7, 2011
Portland, TN.
Trying TNJAKE TNJAKE beef bacon recipe. I cured it for 14~15 days left to rest in the fridge for about 3. I let it cold smoke all night with a full loaded amazn tube(long one) probably smoked for 8 to 10 hours. I lightly wrapped in parchment paper and stuck it a paper bag and stuck in the fridge to dry some. How long can I leave it in the fridge before I slice and package it? I was going to slice tonight but we have to leave town tomorrow morning so am busy packing. We won't be back till this weekend. Should I vac seal it and freeze or just leave it in the fridge. Sorry for the long drawn out question.

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought I read somewhere about letting bacon rest for a few weeks before slicing and packing but I can't find it now.

Really depends on your salt percentage. Jake has given very solid advice, but I’ll add that salt percentage is key on time, but that said going generally off of acceptable recipes, about 3 weeks total time is safe. Longer is safe also but you will get mold growth without some drying. If it’s bagged in plastic and less than 2.5% salt, then 3 weeks is about it.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Really depends on your salt percentage. Jake has given very solid advice, but I’ll add that salt percentage is key on time, but that said going generally off of acceptable recipes, about 3 weeks total time is safe. Longer is safe also but you will get mold growth without some drying. If it’s bagged in plastic and less than 2.5% salt, then 3 weeks is about it.
Mines completely uncovered for drying my extra days

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Mines completely uncovered for drying my extra days
This is a great process! And is next level but is also very safe because of the extra drying, this too is a safety hurdle, lowering AW. Carry on my friend, plus this process concentrates flavors and really does make a superior product.

Reactions: TNJAKE
PXL_20221213_014157015.jpg
PXL_20221213_020024467.jpg
PXL_20221213_020032924.jpg

Fried up a couple of strips tonight to try. I was quite surprised how much it resembled pork bacon. I will be making this again, this batch is for gifts. I have two Kurdish employees that work for me and do not eat pork. Hopefully they like it.

Reactions: bauchjw and DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky