How Long to smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jts70

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 12, 2007
Mayville, Mi
I have a ten pound bird how long should I smoke it for? What temp should my smoker be at when I put the bird in?

I did one at Thanksgiving and it turned out real good. Here's what I did.

I spatchcocked it, cut out the backbone so it would lay flat. Seams to cook a little faster and easier for me to put in a brine.

I brined it over night, about 8-10 hrs. Just a basic brine, nothing too wild.

I had the smoker at about 220-240* and smoked it till the thigh hit 175* and the breast was also up to 175*. Took a while, can't remember how long, but it was very juicy and had a good smoke flavor. It was a hit.

I also did one w/out the brine, it was just as good but the meat wasn't as tasty. Still very good but the brine did add something to the meat.

Hope this helps

Thank you! Should I have the cooker at that temp when I put the bird in?

jts70 a bird that size should take approx. 6 - 6.5 hrs @ around 240ºish (some people will cook at even higher temps) smoker temp. I use the 240º mark to give the bird a chance to develop a good smoke ring. If someone thinks that pink on the outside isn't done, you may want to go a little faster.

Turkey and chicken don't really gain by a true low and slow method, so you want to get through the danger zone (40º - 140º) quickly. Be sure to baste to keep the skin from drying out too quickly.

Remember you can check out the Times/Temp. Table at the left of the screen. Also DeejayDebi has a very good time / temp table - Updated the Time and Temperature Chart - Thanks Debi!

Keep Smokin

Thanks so much! The temp/time table will be a big help. Just like all of you!
I cannot wait to get the first smoke. Wish me luck!

You definatly want to shoot for at least 175. Maybe even up to 185 in the thigh. Since smokers very from one to the next, you're looking at between 5 to 7 hours. Just be sure to check it with an instant read thermometer if you have one before you take it off. Probably about the 5 hour mark.

I usually let my smoker get to temp then put in the product.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Yep, what they said. But what I do is take the bird to 175*, wrap in foil and let it sit for 1/2hr. Temp will get up to 180-185*, many things can change that, obvious ones like temp of house/outside/smoker etc.

I've yet to cut into a bird and think "eeeeeeewwwwwwwww this thing isn't done".

To be safe, and crisp up the skin, kick up the temp about 1/2hr or so before it should be done.

Better to be safe than sorry. I haven't been sorry yet on food, now my drinking is a different story
icon_redface.gif

Didn't the recommended safe temparature for a cooked turkey get lowered to 160 ? Any benefits to keeping the old standard of 180 ?

Kueh, only benifit is peace of mind............and maybe less toilet paper.
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif

Jts70.........call me "sir" again, and I'll smoke you!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif
I'm not NEAR old enough to be called sir! All jokes aside, I take that as a complement.

Good luck w/the bird. Take pics and let us know how you did it and how it turned out.

Good luck.............ya turd.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

My dad is staring at the smoker smoke! Now he joined this .
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

Now he's over doing it .All he does is want to smoke meat (on the smoker) . Can someone tell him to stop.
From,
Emily

Hang in there Emily, and tell him how you feel. I have an 8yr old girl and a 12 yr old boy, they like to help when they can. It can be alot of fun, plenty of time to just sit and talk.

Good food though isn't it?

This is what you get when you leave your computer to check the smoker!! Comments from the peanut gallery...my eight yr old daughter! On the bright side the Brisket was Killer !!!

Greg

Greg, that is just to cute and funny!!! Tell Emily she is a sweety.
icon_wink.gif

Glad to hear your brisket was killer!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky