How long should I soak my legs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was lazy and only made one brine. I dissolved 1 cup kosher salt, about 1/4 cup sugar, a couple tbs garlic powder, about 1 tbs sage, some onion powder and cbp into 4 cups water. Once the seasonings were disolved I added cold water and ice until I had one gallon total liquid. I put 9 turkey legs into 2 "gallon-size" ziploc bags and poured the brine in the bags until meat was completely covered. I put them in a large container without lid so they won't tip over in the fridge. They will go in the smoker tomorrow along with some other goodies. Thanks for all the info on brining.

This is a good method to cool the brine, however realize that you dilute the brine concentration with the ice. If you lessen the amount of water in the brine about a cup and use around 1.5-2 cups ice, it will be about right tho.

Now walking dudes recipe looks the business. Much more of a marinade than a full blown brine. 3tbs of salt in the overall finished volume. Okay it'd taste a bit salty but nowhere near the levels of a standard brine.

And yep understand the process rich, just not that big on eating loads of salt. I work on the principle that there are Five tastes - salt is just one of them. I like the other four more :-)
I've seen serious chefs in england brining poultry. I know it goes on lol

I do a cracking lime marinade for pork steaks (sliced shoulder) that has no salt in it. Tends to go quicker than anything else at a bbq - well apart from the jumbo shrimp and scallop kebabs ;-)
WD's recipe looks the business.
Might try it as a marinade, cut the quantities down a little, reduce the salt a wee bit. Should be good :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky