How long can/should I keep butts in the cooler...? Input?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scdigger

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Anderson, SC
Hey guys! Couple of days ago I posted about smoking some Boston butts for my mother-in-law and timing, etc.

Party is at 4:00 p.m. today. I started the butts around 12:30 am last night with plans of it coming off around 12:00-1:00 pm. today.

Well, 7 hours (around 9:00 a.m.) my butts hit an internal temp of 190!!! about three hours too early...

OK, here's the question...I

have them wrapped and foiled in a cooler right now...as long as they are still hot/warm can they keep in the cooler until this afternoon, or should I go ahead and chop it and put it up in the refridgerator...

Just seeking a little input as to what YOU would do?

Thanks!

Greg

I have wrapped and toweled butts in the cooler and they were still steamy and hot 4-5 hours later. I have also put them in the crockpot to keep warm after the foiling. You shouldn't have to worry about refridgerating them. Plus, you may still hit the dreaded stall anywhere up to 205 degrees which in my opinion is when it's best to pull from the heat. One thing is that the longer they sit in the foil in the cooler when you go to pull the pork it will just fall apart for you. You can probe it in the cooler with a candy therm. if you have one and keep an eye on it. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky