How long can I keep pork in cooler?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattu1665

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Miflord, MI
I pulled 2 butts off the smoker at 6:30 am, wrapped them in foil and a towel and then placed them in a cooler. We're not eating them until 3:00 pm this afternoon.

My question is, how long can I leave the butts in the cooler before I should pull them out and shred? Could I wait all the way up until it's time to eat?

Your probably going to be safe, but that's 8 1/2 hrs. I myself would come up with a plan B. Maybe shred now and reheat for the chow-down.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinGame
Your probably going to be safe, but that's 8 1/2 hrs. I myself would come up with a plan B. Maybe shred now and reheat for the chow-down.

Chris
Thanks, I was concerned the meat would dry out if I went that route. I've held butts in a cooler for 4 hours before but never 8 hours.

I've only held them in a cooler for 3 or 4 hours and they were still hot enough to burn you, but 8 1/2 hours is a long time. Maybe hold it in the oven on low.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I've only held them in a cooler for 3 or 4 hours and they were still hot enough to burn you, but 8 1/2 hours is a long time. Maybe hold it in the oven on low.
Thanks, Doug! Should I shred the pork first or wait until ready to eat?

I'd cycle the butt into an oven when the internal falls back down to 150°. This butt was hot held in a roaster oven on 155° for 6 or 7 hours. Make sure you have warmed juices in the foil or pan.
8oRtWNf.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky