How long are cryovac meats good for at 0F

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zanemoseley

Original poster
Oct 12, 2020
My daughter's bday party is next weekend, gonna smoke a butt and some ribs for the party. I've got a deep freeze with a digital controller keeping it at 0F. Had a new cryovac #11 butt in there since last October, is it for sure still top quality or should I get a new one? I buy the Swift brand butts at Food Lion when they're half off and stock up.

Also how long do you trust cooked ribs or pulled pork in the same freezer in at home vacuum sealed bags?

Safe indefinitely … USDA recommends 4-6mos (pork roasts) for best quality, but as Jake and others have said, I’ve done them well past that window and didn't detect a difference. Probably more variability in the meat itself.
FWIW, I do the same at Food Dog, and tempted to get a couple at 0.99 right now, but really need to use the 2 in the very bottom of the &%§£ chest freezer.
Congrats to the birthday girl!

I'm sure it will be great, have had a lot of stuff 2 years and older that I have vacuumed that was as good as fresh, not sure why somebody thinks there is a difference in vacked/cryo sealed as I don't see the difference other than marketing terms lol

I'm sure it will be great, have had a lot of stuff 2 years and older that I have vacuumed that was as good as fresh, not sure why somebody thinks there is a difference in vacked/cryo sealed as I don't see the difference other than marketing terms lol
I think it is more in how long it lasts thawed in the fridge.
(and by the way, why is there a ‘d‘ in fridge, but not in refrigerator? 🤪)
My supposition: If it’s been opened and then vacsealed, it’s been exposed again to airborne pathogens, or has had some time for them to reproduce. And there are anaerobic pathogens, so can reproduce in a sealed oxygen-free environment. So probably not safe as long as the original cryovac packing.

I think it depends on the individual. I had all kinds of things vac sealed and frozen for 2 & 3 years---No problem. I didn't notice any flavor quality loss.

I also had a buddy of mine years ago telling me how wonderful music sounds going trough his new speakers, so he showed me his old ones & through his new ones. Both sounded like music to me.

I guess you need better hearing & tasting abilities to notice a difference.

Bear

Vac sealed meats should be fine for 2 to 3 years in the freezer without a noticeable loss in quality.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky