How I bottle without making a mess

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlh42581

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
Run the dishwasher so its sanitary. Then I set the carboy on the counter and run the siphon to the bottling wand. Set the bottle on the dishwasher so that if you spill it, you just lift the lid and dump it into the dishwasher. Not the best photo, grabbed it with a cell phone. I was in a hurry between hunting on saturday and wanted to get this off the oak. The dishes were clean and you can bet I heard about bottling wine with them still in there.

Note where I had some overflow. I then take them off, sit them on paper towels for a final dry and sanitize caps/corks to finish.

Try getting a food grade five gallon bucket you can buy from walmart or other grocery stores and put a spigot on the bottom of it which you can be bought for 2 to 3 dollars at any homebrew store.  You can then turn it on and off as you wish.  It will make bottling so much easier and is very cheap to make.

Try getting a food grade five gallon bucket you can buy from walmart or other grocery stores and put a spigot on the bottom of it which you can be bought for 2 to 3 dollars at any homebrew store.  You can then turn it on and off as you wish.  It will make bottling so much easier and is very cheap to make.

I have one bucket w/spigot for my beer. Works like a champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know lots of people do it your way, but I don't really see the advantage over using an auto-siphon and a bottling wand right from the carboy.

you chance exposing it to more o2 also when transferring to a bucket then bottling. both ways work, a bucket would be easier when doing something like beer or cider for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky