How do you put the thermometer in the smoker?

Discussion in 'Meat Thermometers' started by poindexter, Jun 26, 2013.

1. poindexter

poindexter Fire Starter

I have a UDS with a webber lid and I have gone through about five thermometer probes. The silicone always gets clipped by the lid if I put it between the smoker and the lid. Or I've put it through the vent in the webber lid and even then it seems to get too hot maybe? I keep around 250 F so idk why it happens. Also I have three Taylor 1470N controllers with no probes but when I put my probe that is working on another controller in it it reads 65 even though it's in 127 degree water... Are the controllers broken or can I salvage them? I've tried resetting them and using other probes. Nothing works, wist toss them and get new controller is my next step. Thanks y'all.

2. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

3. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I use the same one....Maverick.  Use the inside probe attached to the racks inside....and the door closes on it...no problems with mine.

Kat

4. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

I just drilled 2 small holes just big enough for the probes to fit through and slide them in, been doing this for almost 2 years and never lost a probe!

5. dr k

dr k Master of the Pit

[​IMG]

6. i Have pipe couplings welded to the UDS with a small hole drilled through the UDS. Then I use pipe plugs when I want to close off that hole. Take a look at my UDS build if you need to see more of how i did it.

Happy smoken.

David