Lid Thermometer Recommendation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its_Raw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
Hello!

I would like to put a thermometer in the lid of my new smoker. I understand the temperature in the upper chamber area will not be the same as the temperature at grate lever, but the quick reference of looking at the lid thermometer would be nice. I see a couple from Old Country at my local Academy Sports. One is adjustable - and I am not sure what that means. What do you recommend? Also, I do have a 4-probe ThermoPro that will tell me the grate level temperature.

Thank you!

I see a couple from Old Country at my local Academy Sports. One is adjustable - and I am not sure what that means.
I use one in my WSM . I like it , and the price . Adjustable means you can adjust the dial reading if it's off .

The Tel-Tru brand is a higher end therm . If I ever wanted to really rely on a dial therm I would buy a Tel-Tru .

I've got two Tel-Tru's I don't use, and would sell for half new price.
Both work perfectly and look almost new.
Send me a PM if interested.

What are your thoughts on the 2" vs 4" stems on the Tel-Tru?

Just to add to my previous post. The heat flow in the chamber can make layers of heat. Add to that the bimetallic coil is long compared to the pin point of a thermocouple, or RTD. Even the meat, or water pan alter the area around the lid.
I truly see your point through. I have installed these in pits I have built but always found I use the thermoworks "Smoke". I rarely even look at the lid bimetalic.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky