How do I get more smoke flavor using a stick burner (lang)?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

timmyt509

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
I have a Lang 48 and most of the food that comes out of that is really moist and tender, but it seems like there is not lots of smoke flavor. I read on this forum that certain woods provide different flavors. It seems like no matter what type of wood I use tastes the same. All the wood I use is seasoned for a year or so. I am in an area where there is no stick burner bbq places to see if my food should taste the way it should. So any info would be great and thanks!

I have a Lang 48 and most of the food that comes out of that is really moist and tender, but it seems like there is not lots of smoke flavor. I read on this forum that certain woods provide different flavors. It seems like no matter what type of wood I use tastes the same. All the wood I use is seasoned for a year or so. I am in an area where there is no stick burner bbq places to see if my food should taste the way it should. So any info would be great and thanks!
I am thinking if you want more smoke flavor with a lang. you will have to  Set the house on fire.

David

timmy, evening.....  As near as I can tell, you might have a flame burning in the firebox of the smoker....  are you building a small fire and continuing with that for the duration of the smoke ??  If so, build a big, BIG fire in the firebox, when it get to coals, add a split or two.... or throw in a couple of chunks of flavor wood....   you do not want any flames in the firebox....  flames consume smoke like an afterburner...  once the chunks or splits are thrown in, they should smolder giving off smoke....  bed of coals for heat, hunks for smoke and flavor..... control the cooker temp with the air intake to the firebox.... leave the exhaust stack wide open....  

Dave

Last edited:
Sounds like you may be desensitized because you are cooking with wood. You get smoke all over you, you are breathing it, it's on your clothes, in your hair and so forth. While the meat is resting or just before you are ready to take it off, take a quick shower and change your clothes, it will make difference.

Timmy, I'm a Lang 60 owner and I don't have a problem getting the smokey flavor to my food (and no, I don't need to burn the house down). I build my initial fire with white oak and when I replenish the wood I'll use a fruit wood or maple splits depending on what I smoke.

You didn't mention what woods you are using; List the woods you are using and we may be able to provide additional help to you.

Reactions: cats49er
Yes what kind of wood are you using. I would think if you used some type of Oak and follow the advise given above you should not have any problems..

i didnt know it was possible to get MORE of a smoke flavor on a stick burner...maybe cuz in texas we use pecan and mesquite....its deeply embedded in the meat..haha. i guess you could ask for less smoke flavor, but thats insanity to me! lol.

Look into the wood your using, you said it was seasoned for a year or two?? Seams a little old to me for some milder woods.

Dave I do always have a flame going in the firebox, but usually wait until a slpit is about 2/3 burned then throw another on. Maybe there is smoke on me and I need to shower and also it could be the wood the is old, but I thought it is good to use well seasoned wood.

If you have a flame, there will be NO smoke.... you must have coals and splits smoldering on top.....     Dave

If you have a flame, there will be NO smoke.... you must have coals and splits smoldering on top.....     Dave
Actually you can get thin blue smoke by keeping a small, hot fire, but even if there is no visible smoke you will still have smoke flavor imparted to the food by the burning wood. It is important to keep

the wood burning in an offset to prevent creosote formation when cooking at low temps.

I use my Pit to "Q" my food and I use my gosm to smoke food.

If you want your stick burner to smoke, build the fire on one side and add splits to the other side to smolder longer, not my preferred method.

Place a split on the firebox until it smokes then place in the firebox away from the fire.

Thank for all the info, I will try some different methods. I do get the thin blue smoke and towards the last few hours of cooking I get where it is just clear heat comming from the stack.

I have a Lang 60 and I have a similar problem, when I switch between using cherry and hickory, the ribs always taste exactly the same to me?  I was expecting a more bacon like flavor with the hickory, but it tastes just like the cherry.  I do enjoy the smoke flavor more the next day when I re-heat the leftovers (when I haven't been in front of the smoker all day).  The wood I use is kiln dried and I do keep a flame going for about 75% of the time.

I have a Lang 60 and I have a similar problem, when I switch between using cherry and hickory, the ribs always taste exactly the same to me?  I was expecting a more bacon like flavor with the hickory, but it tastes just like the cherry.  I do enjoy the smoke flavor more the next day when I re-heat the leftovers (when I haven't been in front of the smoker all day).  The wood I use is kiln dried and I do keep a flame going for about 75% of the time.
Kill the flame....  cut down on the air to get the wood to smolder....  reduce the smoker temp to the 130-140 ish range and good stuff will happen...  You may need a bigger bed of coals to get that to happen....    Most folks, when starting out, build a fire that is way too small...  they adjust the temp by adding wood instead of adjusting the air flow....  

Only an observation from talking with folks that are starting out using an RF smoker for the first few times.....

The numbers below are  Marianski's suggestions......   After smoke is applied, the temp is elevated to cook the product...

Marianski:

Cold Smoking

Cold smoking at 52-71° F (12-22° C), from 1-14 days

Warm Smoking

Continuous smoking at 73-104° F (23-40° C), from 4-48 hours depending on the diameter of the meat, humidity 80%, and medium smoke.

Hot Smoking

Hot smoking is the most common method of smoking. Continuous smoking at 105-140° F (41-60° C), 0.5-2 hours

You don't think 130-140 is too low?  It sounds like I'll be cold smoking my ribs
Yes it is too low for ribs, Marianski is talking about smoking cured meats, not BBQ.

I cook my ribs with wood splits at 250 and always get good smoke flavor, IMHO there is no need to go lower and have the wood smolder.

You don't think 130-140 is too low?  It sounds like I'll be cold smoking my ribs
Yes it is too low for ribs, Marianski is talking about smoking cured meats, not BBQ.

I cook my ribs with wood splits at 250 and always get good smoke flavor, IMHO there is no need to go lower and have the wood smolder.
So Cliff, you are saying I'm wrong ???  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky