How come I taste more smoke the next day?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mummel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Massachusetts
I had some cold pulled pork on a sandwich the other day.  The smoke flavor was potent & delicious.  How come smoked meat sometimes tastes better after refrigeration?

A lot of people feel that the smoke flavor mellows after a day or so. Also, when you are smoking all day you end up inhaling a lot of smoke, your clothes smell of smoke, etc. So by the time you eat you have been tasting smoke all day so it is not as pronounced. 

I agree with bmaddox. Not really clear on the reasons, but pulled pork always tastes a lot better after a day or two in the fridge. So much so that I try to plan to be able to smoke a day or two before I need it, just so it can have the fridge time.

Not 100% sure but when you eat it cold like that I think part of the reason is the juices contract back into the meat again once the meat is cold. Then your intial bite has more of the smoke which is closer to the exterior of the meat.

Chili, spaghetti, lasagne, and most casseroles taste better as leftovers. Cold pizza ? Breakfast of champions ! I always try to make enough for leftovers when I smoke. A slice of fatty on a dinner roll, dirty rice made with smoked ANYTHING, a pulled pork or beef, potato and onion hash, card all awesome. Maybe it's because the work was done the day before, and the smoked goodness is easier to sit down to, and relax and enjoy.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky