• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How clean out a UDS

danbono

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 19, 2012
Hi All I'm just curious about how one goes about cleaning out a UDS when the smoking is done?

I may be looking to build one down the road.

Thanks Dan

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 23, 2010
If you're talking about the ash, what I did with mine is bolted the legs of the charcoal basket through a cheap 18" pizza pan. The pan sits on the bottom of the UDS about 3" below the bottom of the basket. I just lift the whole thing out to dump the ash & stuff.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Shop vac.

Joined Nov 27, 2013
I didn't think about it when I built mine. I ended up with a huge basket and couldn't find an off-the-shelf pizza pan to fit. Ended up cutting a water heater pan to size an bolting to the basket. I still have foil below that though, to catch everything that slips through. But it's bc I don't have a shop vac

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.