How are some of you getting such a good smoke ring ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
the smoke ring is created by moisture interacting with the smoke on the chemical in meat that gives it red coloring.  Keeping lots of moisture on the meat through mopping with a baste, soaking part of your wood, sitting a pan of water over the heat, all give you a better shot at a ring.  From a flavor standpoint, the ring is a catch 22.  The KCBS no longer judges by a ring.  In order to get a ring, the meat has to be clean of fat.  A fat cap on lots of cuts will block a ring, but improve the flavor if you leave it on as you cook low and slow.  I like to do tri tip.  I remove the fat cap and save it.  Go without it for 2 hours to get the smoke in and a ring to form, then let the fat cap cook on top until my 4-5 hour point when it gets to 145 and med rare.  http://barbecuebible.com/2014/07/11/science-smoke-ring/

that is true but it is mostly due to adding moisture to your smoke.. spritzing or mopping does the same thing and allows you to add flavor to moisture by adding it directly to the meat.

TQ is ok but you have to let it set 10=15 minutes. remember to rinse it off and then put your meat back in the frig another 1/2-1 hour to recool and then put in smoker. cold smoker and cold meat =good smoke ring. I put my meat in my smoker at 125 degrees. and spritz!!! you will only build smoke ring till 145-165 depending on who you ask. I believe 145 internal temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky