How’s your wood pile doing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motolife313

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2016
just curious how your wood pile is doing again? The wood for cooking of course lol. Picked up some nice black walnut today. My new pile is about 2 cords or more. It’s apple, cherry little ask and now some black walnut. I’ve been working on this pile for about a month now, should be ready in about a year hopefully if it can stay dry, I got 7 different kinds of wood to cook with, about to be 8 on Monday if I can get my hands on this pecan but the homeowner is acting weird. I set my pile up at a angle so the water will run off, otherwise 1 long tarp would be needed most likely, I’m not done tho I’m still adding to it, I got 6 other piles too lol, I’m kinda addicted
A93D6CAF-3EEC-4B9B-B6FB-0DCA3F3CF5F5.jpeg
67871B9D-B00B-49FC-A225-63B023088D8C.jpeg
DA58C6D5-FD74-4813-8DD1-DBF5AF7B1505.jpeg
0E755BBA-797E-4C73-8EBA-56324C86756C.jpeg
mud flap touching

Reactions: JC in GB
Walnut is heavy and hard to split. Easy to cut tho. There was a ton on nails in this tree it was already cut luckily, this piece was cut about 3/4 ot the way maybe hit a nail, my maul took care of the rest
9AC4695A-5961-4313-A4C5-AF0941A6CB67.jpeg
That’s my 24 pound maul
780DEE26-49CD-45F8-846D-3129D91DB3F7.jpeg
some of the best looking firewood in town.

nice apple tree here in really good shape. Only a few bad pieces, it’s on the pile now
5B29AAD6-258E-47C4-B6D8-654AE193442F.jpeg
3855D2F5-6F6F-41A3-A9DD-9BBAFEB72D74.jpeg
beautiful apple wood

Reactions: JC in GB
My two bags of hickory and apple chunks are getting kinda low. Time to replenish.

Chris

Are you using honey locust to cook with or heat the house?

Walnut is a good wood to cook with, treeger even makes walnut pellets. Thanks warren!

Chris where do you get your wood from?

Oh ok wasn’t sure. Oak is my favorite also with plum or cherry. Plum burns slower then cherry and apple but oaks gives the good coals

Chris where do you get your wood from?

Mostly from Lowe's, but I also get some apple from the local orchards, and maple from felled trees in the woods or if one of my maples drops a limb I'll use that.

Chris

Nice! The maple is one of the best smelling woods I got. I had a guy ask me how much my wood weights because I sell it by the wheel barrow load and he was comparing to see what kind of deal he’s getting. He showed my the bag it came in and it was about 1/3 of what I was selling him for about the same price. But the weight thing would not been a accurate way of measuring becuase he told me they inject oil into the wood, I’m guessing so it doesn’t dry out and burn right up. He gave me a piece of mesquite and it was extremely heavy, got it home cut it in half with chop saw and it was like 60% on the moisture meter. Green wood of a fresh cut down tree is 25-30% usually

5F91EC9E-1523-4D02-ADDC-11CA792CCC71.jpeg
FE18D5B8-354E-406B-BC21-A1B6434E694F.jpeg
I let this amount go for 25$ except the oak in the first pic and my walnut is same price as oak 30$. The oak with burn longer then the other woods so it’s actually a better deal even tho it’s more expensive. 6 of those wheel barrows is a 1/4 cord

Totally agree with the smell of Maple. I see people buying bags of wood outside the local mom-n-pop stores around here. I've never inquired into how much it is. There's plenty of woods around here with allot of downed trees. All it takes is a little work.

Chris

I think it’s fun to get the wood lol.

Might have to buy some tho if u don’t have seasoned wood

In my younger days I enjoyed heading out into the woods, but not as much now that I'm a little older. Since I use the WSM a little wood goes a long way, and that makes me a happy camper.

Chris

Reactions: motolife313
not very many stick burner guys it doesn’t look like kinda sad on a bbq forum. Probably be 10 pages if the title was let’s see your pellet storage

I'm a pellet guy but should probably be a stick guy. I've currently got about 14 full cords (42 face cords) of maple and oak. We use it not for actually heating but for the enjoyment of both outside fires and the inside fireplace.

Reactions: motolife313
Mine is about half the size I want it to be. But I have sold a few cords of it to a steady bbq company.
D2857546-78C1-41A3-9595-DB2DEC0E6D9B.jpeg

E10A2C9C-F39A-4BE1-98E6-F3A9D5A2FA51.jpeg

the pile used to cover the exposed bark area too but I either bbq with it or the BBQ catering company did. I use almond wood in my fireplace cause the wife likes it better then oak

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky